Personal knapping

patriot15joe

I’ve been playing around with trying to learn how the Indians did the job. I haven’t used anything modern in my self teaching. Only antlers and rock. It truly makes you appreciate the ones you find once you see first hand how hard they are to make. The really nice ones made of quarts are truly the best skill that has ever been.

Attachments

• IMG_3291.jpeg
    IMG_3291.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3290.jpeg
    IMG_3290.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3289.jpeg
    IMG_3289.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3288.jpeg
    IMG_3288.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0769_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0769_Original.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0685_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0685_Original.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 56

Redbow

Good job I learned a bit about flint knapping fromTube videos. I ain't no expert either but I can make a working point. But when knapping material went out of sight I quit and there ain't no suitable knapping material here on the NC coast as I know of.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been playing around with trying to learn how the Indians did the job. I haven’t used anything modern in my self teaching. Only antlers and rock. It truly makes you appreciate the ones you find once you see first hand how hard they are to make. The really nice ones made of quarts are truly the best skill that has ever been.
You're starting to figure it out, good job! Yeah, I would like to go back and watch some of those Savannah River culture people working our local quartzite. They made some nice stuff from it.
For hafting, a mixture of pine pitch, charcoal, and beeswax works great for seating the point or blade before binding it down with sinew. Heat it up and apply it, and it stiffens up as it cools down.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That’s a skill most old men can’t do anymore. Your work looks great

JDBrown

Great work, looks a lot better than what I was making when I started out.

Redbow

If you could find some Brazilian Agate its great stuff for knapping. Its pricey but worth the cost every now and then. That stuff makes beautiful arrowheads and knapps like butter. The Agate that I had was heat treated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you could find some Brazilian Agate its great stuff for knapping. Its pricey but worth the cost every now and then. That stuff makes beautiful arrowheads and knapps like butter. The Agate that I had was heat treated.
The raw stuff that isn't treated is worse than quartz.

Redbow

Never knapped any of the Brazilian Agate that wasn't heated, thanks for heads up on the hardness of the raw stuff.
The raw stuff that isn't treated is worse than quarts/