Point type

patriot15joe

I found these two in Wilkes county. The broken one it by far the finest knapping skill I have ever seen on quartz. I wish I could have seen it entact.

My question is the little one. I’m thinking it is a true arrowhead. Does anyone have an idea on the type? It’s about the size of a dime and sharp as glass.

Attachments

• IMG_1542.jpeg
    IMG_1542.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1541.jpeg
    IMG_1541.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 49

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If I found that littlun here, I'd call it a Palmer. They are a Bolen-related type that date back to the early Archaic, about 9,000 years ago or so. Long before the bow and arrow hit eastern North America. Really nice finds. That broken one is nice, but impossible to type without the base.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at Palmer and was wondering if it was more of hardaway?
Hardaway eventually morphed into Palmer, so there's some intergrade. To the point that Joffrey Coe named one type the Hardaway-Palmer or Hardapalmer. That one still has a bit of the concave base, but not the side notches and overall "cowhead" shape of the Hardaway. It's corner-notched. Palmers also have some regional variation.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Palmer must be a northern name. You never hear it used down here.

What county was that point found?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Palmer must be a northern name. You never hear it used down here.

What county was that point found?
They're found throughout the whole Southeast, and into the Northeast. The type locality for Palmer is the Hardaway Site in central NC. They are very common here in my neck of the woods, and throughout northern GA, SC, and eastern TN.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They're found throughout the whole Southeast, and into the Northeast. The type locality for Palmer is the Hardaway Site in central NC. They are very common here in my neck of the woods, and throughout northern GA, SC, and eastern TN.

It might be the same point, I`m just saying that the name isn`t used down here. Bolens are one of the most found points down this way.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It might be the same point, I`m just saying that the name isn`t used down here. Bolens are one of the most found points down this way.
Never in my life seen one here. I think the Palmer fellers were the same general culture, just a regional variant in the same time period. The Palmers eventually morphed into Kirks here. Palmers aren't usually beveled, and are often serrated like that one.