Chert type

patriot15joe

Does anyone know what type of chert this is and where is originated from? These were found in two different sites in Wilkes county several miles apart. I have seen some of the same material come from Crawfordville as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpeg
    IMG_2212.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 45

Buckstop

No expert, but they look really similar to preforms I’ve found in Allendale Co, SC along the Savannah River.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hard to tell the chert type with that heavy field patina. That sure looks like a Waller knife on the far left.

Cmcharles

I’d say Waller knife for sure on the left, nice fat blade one too. Not sure on material. Sometimes you can soak in water for a few days and get a better idea. I’m not a fan of oil soaks.

patriot15joe

I’d say Waller knife for sure on the left, nice fat blade one too. Not sure on material. Sometimes you can soak in water for a few days and get a better idea. I’m not a fan of oil soaks.
I have washed with hot water and a toothbrush.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to tell if that's the actual color of the chert, as most types of chert will grow a white patina with time, even the black and dark gray ones. From the location, I would guess Allendale chert from SC, or some variety of Coastal Plains chert.