Finished my pedestal

bilgerat

Senior
I have been working on a pedestal for my buck I killed this season . He won’t be ready till June or July’s but I wanted to build the pedestal since I had some spare time being bucked out n alll. I used all material from my property I killed him on . The base is made from wood and an old picket fence that was left on the property. The old fence post was on the back property line close to where I killed him. It’s an old cedar tree that someone nailed barb wire to back a long time ago , it died and turned to fat lighter . The two smaller trees were about 20 yards away from the fence post and were rubbed on by the buck I killed. Cant wait to get the mount back !!! . Heres a few pics . IMG_5900.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

buckpasser

That’ll be second to none!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That’s awesome. Please don’t remove the barb wire. It belongs.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Are you going to spray the rubbed trees with anything? I’d think the bark will eventually dry and come off. Very cool presentation. In for pics when you get your deer back

bilgerat

Senior
Are you going to spray the rubbed trees with anything? I’d think the bark will eventually dry and come off. Very cool presentation. In for pics when you get your deer back
Not sure what I could spray them with, Clear spray paint maybe?

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I like it already

2dye4

When I saw the first picture I said what the heck is that but as I scrolled down it all came together. Great job and very nice talent there my friend.
Please post finished product when completed.
Congrats!

Duff

Very very cool bilge! Great job, I like it a lot!

bilgerat

Senior
I was thinking the same thing . I found some satin clear spray on line , gonna try that on a piece of the small tree that I cut off .

DannyW

I’m not sure. Maybe try a clear coat on another piece to see how it looks? It may make it shine to much
I agree that spraying it with a clear coat, something like Minwax in a Matte finish, will definitely take it up a notch. But...that wood is not in any condition to be treated with an exterior finish. It needs to be pressure washed, allowed to fully dry, and then sprayed.

Otherwise, the finish will just flake off over time.

Personally I would pressure wash the wood, let it dry completely, and apply a 50/50 mix of mineral oil mixed with a polymerized tung oil. Apply liberally, let the wood just soak it up.

Apply a second coat for more sheen.

This will seal the wood and add a little sheen. The tung oil I use is Daley's Benmatte, available online. It was recommended to me by Chic Worthington, a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild.

Customstox, his web handle, is whom I blame for my passion for refinishing gun stocks and other projects. :ROFLMAO:

turkeykirk

That’s a nice piece of work

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is one of the coolest things I've seen. Love it!