Got a Escape artist, Need some help !

BoxCallWillie

I have a Female Brood Beagle
that has decided she wants out of the 1 acre
fenced in area I have my dogs in.
She will dig under the fence in a heart beat ...

She got out this morning . At 7:30am I was heading out
to feed my pup and looked up and there she goes down the road. :banginghe :banginghe..............
Now mind you im in a power wheelchair that runs a top speed of 3-4 mph. she gets to the woods and is gone.
This is the third time shes dug out on me.
At 1:30 I was able to get her back because of my name on the collar a neighbor caught her and brought her to me.

Guys if I had a Shock collar I would have burnt her
up at the time. I dont see why she gets out shes got 1 acre
to run rather than a tiny kennel .

Is there anything I can put around the ground at the fence
that would deture her from digging out.
Other than wire on the ground ... That would be to expencive for me.

Thanks,

BCW

R G

Electric fence.

ABAC33

well bud, i just moved 3 male beagles to my new house and i used to keep them in a kennel. This house had a dog run in the backyard bout 1/2 acre big with privacy fence all way round. I was afraid that they would dig out also, so i got a 1 strain of electric wire run round the bottom of the fence about 3-4 inches off of ground. as soon as i put them in there, they went to smell around and touch wire. they don't go no where near the fence now. but you said that may cost to much but it works for me, for now anyways. good luck.

BoxCallWillie

well bud, i just moved 3 male beagles to my new house and i used to keep them in a kennel. This house had a dog run in the backyard bout 1/2 acre big with privacy fence all way round. I was afraid that they would dig out also, so i got a 1 strain of electric wire run round the bottom of the fence about 3-4 inches off of ground. as soon as i put them in there, they went to smell around and touch wire. they don't go no where near the fence now. but you said that may cost to much but it works for me, for now anyways. good luck.

You know I didnt think of that :banginghe
I was refering to wire on the ground she couldnt dig through. I've seen some electric fence , insulators and
charging unit In our Penny Saver recently and cheap.

Man why didnt I think of that ......
Thanks guys I believe you just solved my problem
with her digging out ....

Unless she's a tunnell'er :)
Thanks again !!!

BCW

BoxCallWillie

Question ?

Guys ,

When I get a elec. fencing , What charge should
I be useing, i realize a High voltage wire is to much
dont want to cook them . What are you useing ?

#2 question,
On my fenced acre I have three different gates to
get in. Doesnt the wier have to be solid all the way
around in order to make it complete circut ? No Breaks !!

Thanks Guys

BCW

JuliaH

You can get relatively inexpensive chargers. It should not take a lot to discourage her.... check Craigs List or eBay, or Jefferslivestock. The cheapest one from Jeffers is about $80, but you might find better prices too... Lowes and Home Depot are another source...

Around your gates, you can take the wire across and a handle to keep the charge going all the way around.

Julia

Tractor Supply has a very adequate one for about $30.00.

After they have shook hands with Redi Kilowatt, you can turn off the charger, and just leave the wire up.

7Mag Hunter

Can also run a single strand of barb wire next to the ground
on the inside of the fence...Run it tight , right next to the
fence and ground......

OkieHunter

Get one of the invisible fences that comes with a color and when she gets close to tis buried wire fence she will get shocked. This should work but one never knows until you try.

tpw35

electric wire

I ran an electric wire around the bottom of my fence, I got the power supply at the local feed store, They sell insulated gate hooks that you hook the wire to, that way you can unhook it at the gate when you need to go in and out.

waddler

Banned
I have sixteen dogs in 12 exercise/kennels with 3' and 4' welded wire . Not one escape in 2 years. Tractor Supply has a fence charger, wire and insulators. Whole thing was $100 or so.

I just run the wire all the way around about a foot off the ground and roundup beneath it from time to time. I run it right across the gate and step over it going in or out. The dogs learn quickly to jump over the wire when I let them out.

Running the wire on both sides of the fence separating adjoining pens can be a problem with metal post insulators, so I bought grade stakes at Lowe's and put the small wooden post insulators on them before driving them into the ground.

If you want to keep other dogs OUT of your pens, just run a wire all the way around OUTSIDE the pen. However, you must run a buried insulated wire across the gate opening, or use the gate connectors, in order to be able to open the gate.

waddler

opie44

Have three dogs that would get together and Ram the gate to their kennel...Finally had to put about three latches on the gate...as far as digging goes...we put big logs around the base of the kennel...seems to keep em in now

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If this is a smart dog you are not going to need the electric charger for the fence but one day. One hit and she will not touch that wire again. Just borrow the charger. I loaned mine to a friend for one week and cured his dogs of digging out.

Rabbitslayer97

they will get used to an electric fence ...well mine did...... but dig around the bottom of the fence a foot deep and fill it with quickcrete it worked for me n even go under the door its alot of work but it really does work

fwhitaker

I have two escape artisit

I used the barbed wire, and all that did was scar up my dog.

I solved it with some good ole' railroad ties ($150) worth and they have not gotten out since.

seaweaver

As someone said use round up along the fence line to keep the weeds from shorting the wire...and leave it on. Smart dogs will "check it" from time to time.

cw

F14Gunner

I have a Female Brood Beagle
that has decided she wants out of the 1 acre
fenced in area I have my dogs in.
She will dig under the fence in a heart beat ...

She got out this morning . At 7:30am I was heading out
to feed my pup and looked up and there she goes down the road. :banginghe :banginghe..............
Now mind you im in a power wheelchair that runs a top speed of 3-4 mph. she gets to the woods and is gone.
This is the third time shes dug out on me.
At 1:30 I was able to get her back because of my name on the collar a neighbor caught her and brought her to me.

Guys if I had a Shock collar I would have burnt her
up at the time. I dont see why she gets out shes got 1 acre
to run rather than a tiny kennel .

Is there anything I can put around the ground at the fence
that would deture her from digging out.
Other than wire on the ground ... That would be to expencive for me.

Thanks,

BCW
Try pouring concrete around the bottom of the fence in a approx a three 3 inch strip 1 inch deep. We did and it stopped our beagle from digging. Now all she does is try to dig to china looking for chipmunks.

weedahoe

I agree with the electric fence also. I have 3 (English) Mastiffs and 1 Rottie. My male Rott and Mastiff wont dig out or climb out but my two females will. I did above ground electric fence for some time but over the summer the grass would grow up in it and short it out and the dogs would touch it and stretch the wire so it eventually would short out. So I got to looking at Lowes and TSC for inground fences with collars. They all were expensive so I looked on ebay and now I have a petsafe changer and 4 wireless collars. I bought the stubborn dog collars that use 9v and not those watch batteries. And belienve me when they get too close it will beep and it they get closer it will buzz and it they get closer it will zap them. I didnt think it would work too well with such big dogs but it works very well. I still do not have collars on my males though. They just do not give any issues.