Another Chile Recipe

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Thought I`d share my chili recipe with ya`ll.
I stole this recipe 28 years ago and have won a contest ot two with it after I modified it a little. It`s a goodun.

Deer Chili

1 large onion-cut up
2 sticks celery-sliced
2 cloves garlic-mashed up
2 bell peppers-cut up
2 4oz. cans diced green chilis (these ain`t hot)
fresh jalepeno peppers to taste-chopped (these are)
4 lbs. coarse ground venison
8 tablespoons good chili powder
2 bay leaves
1 14oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8oz. can tomato sauce
1 6oz. can tomato paste
2 tablespoons cookin` oil
16 oz. water
salt, black pepper, and ground cayenne pepper to taste

Fry first 6 ingredients in oil till onion is clear-set aside
Brown venison and drain well
Combine all ingredients in big pot and simmer at least 4 hours. The more you simmer it the better it gets--even better the next day. Also freezes well. Can use ground beef if you have to.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Darcy, here`s my chile recipe that you requested.

captainc0x

wow, how much does that end up making? i don't usually use more than a pound/pound and a half of venison in the chili i make. and is there something other than water to use, like some kind of beef stock, i just cant justify adding plain water to all that good stuff in a pot.... thanks for this one, i'll have to give it a try and let you know how it turns out!

-nicole

Darcy

HEY i wrote that on roger's name, i'm on his computer and didn't realize that he was signed in and not me!!

thanks again for the recipe!

-nicole

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Darcy, that`s where the modified in my recipe came from. It originally called for 8 oz. of water and 8 oz of beer. You can substitute that or a good beef stock in its place. It makes a big pot of chile, but it doesn`t last long around here. :D You can cut the recipe in half with no trouble if you prefer.

Last edited:

Razorback

nicodemus,

I'm making some deer chilie for the guys at work today. I was a little slack & used a "bag" of chilie seasonings as a quick way to use some thawed ground venison. I'll try yours next time.

Also a little question, sometimes when I brown ground venison it gets a little gritty a little rubbery. Do you or anyone else know why this happens?

Razor

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
PERFECT Weather for some chili!! :clap:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I was just thinkin` about chili this mornin`. Might have to get a pot of it to simmerin`... ;)

Hoyt man

just in time... thanks nic. the family is having a chili cookoff in a couple of weeks I think ill give it a try.