Underground fence.....

J

J-Bomb

Anyone try an underground fence like the ones they sell at HD and Lowe's? I have a dog who goes across the road a lot to visit his little hottie. Trouble is all the idiots who drive70 mph down our country road....

I have a neighbor who has one and likes his a lot, but I would like to see what others might have experienced before laying out the bucks. I think the brand "Petsafe" is the one I have seen at the stores.

-Thanks
-Jeffro

SGADawg

If you will put the time into training the dog, they are great. 2 of my 3 dogs have done great with them. 1, a Border Collie that I didn't take time to train properly figured out that he could grit his teeth and run through it, knowing he would get shocked, but also knowing it wouldn't last.

Work the dog on a leash and Never let him get a chance to run through it during training and it is great.

Confederate_Jay

I have a petsafe and it works good on a rowdy mutt named Rebel.

sentrysam

just bought one

it's still in the box,have a fenced in yard now so I may not need it,german shepards train easy so I'd probably sell this one or take it back to Tractor Supply,I read the instructions and it says plan on a weekend to install,aint gonna do it....will take 300 for it,,it was a little more'n that bunch a flags and stuff with it.....sss

BRANCHWYNN

started with a buried wire one first...worked okay, but later moved and bought one of the wirless ones and it works great and is portable. NUMBER ONE ...train your dogs to it, use the flags and youll love it.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
they work if you train the dogs as directed-- my dogs found out they could crawl under the old chain link fence-- attached the "underground" fence on the chain link fence ( did not bury it) problem solved they don't even try to get within 2-3 feet of the chain link fence now

JaneDeere

About 10 years ago, I spent a lot of time installing one, even rigged it so that my dog could go out thru the side garage door (for an area you don't want your dog to get shocked, you do what's called a "twisted pair" - it basically cancels out the current). And then, due to unfortunate circumstance in my life and heavy rains, I wasn't able to devote enough time to conditioning my dog. And my dog was very hard-headed, so, like SGADawg's dawg he just ran thru it. Is your dog's "hottie" across the road worth a shock to him? Probably so, if she's in heat! Well, I now have 3 dogs and I just installed an above-ground electric fence. The controller was about $60 (Fi-Shock, sold at Lowe's, H.D. and hardware stores - Fishock.com for lots of info); it's hi-voltage, low current, intermittent - 1 sec. on, 1-1/2 sec. off (you can also buy full on, but intermittent will keep it from catching small animals, like squirrels, in it). Lowe's, etc., sells plastic (less than $2 each, and you can space them 10-15' apart) posts that allow running the wire at whatever levels you need. I ran a 4-wire fence, due to the different sizes of my dogs, and an occasional small "cousin" pup that visits sometimes. I used metal posts for the corners and ends, and even made a gate on each side of my house (spring-loaded gate handles - open the top wire and you've opened the circuit.) Oh.... I put each dog on a leash, walked him up to the fence, one time each side of the house, one shock each time and none have got out since!!

bdbull

I've had my Boykin on one for almost 3 years now. She completely respects it and has never tried to run through it. It took one zap and she was trained. She'll even take off after birds or squirrels and slam on the brakes when she gets to the line. It's also fun to watch her scare people running or walking by our house. She'll come full blast down the hill after them and practically make skid marks in the grass when she locks up the brakes. I've actually seen some people jump up into the air as she comes barreling down the yard at them.

BEarls

We use the wireless Pet Safe fence and it is great. We have trained several different dogs on it and never had any problems. It even kept in a 200 lb great dane. We set the collar so it beeps when they get close to the boundary and they learn quick that the beep means turn around. I recommend this fence to anyone looking into buying an invisible fence.

J

J-Bomb

Thanks for all the great advice!

I got one of the wireless kind, and I am training my dog. I am just wondering if it really takes as long as the book says-that sure seems like a lot of time for a dog to figure it out.

I also have to go out of town pretty regularly, so there is no chance of training for a couple of weeks. Looks like some dogs pick it up pretty trouble-free. I am just hoping our dog falls into that category.

-Thanks
-Jeffro

ktduke

We had one at our other home, but ended up having to put up a fence. My female (Bouvier des Flandres) would run through it when she saw something that caught her interest. This in turn taught the others that they could do it too. Then we would end up with 3 or 4 dogs outside the fence and they would not come back inside because they knew they would get shocked. Going out didn't seem to bother them - excitement I guess for the chase - coming back was another issue. They would not run away, but would not go back through the flags. You could however show them one of the orange flags and they would go the other way!

Keith
I guess they work well for some dogs and others just don't mind the shock if they are chasers (cats, squirrel, birds - she was not picky)