Fence blocking view of traffic

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Not sure, but I dont think so.

The SO looked at it today as we passed said it was about 12' from the center of the road, son looked up the plat and said gov has a 30' road easement.
Seems someone is going to have to move a fence then, if you decide to push the issue. The neighbor would be wise to move it just for the potential lawsuits from a crash.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Most places are private back yard turning to chain link front yard. They maybe a reason.
Pics of this would help and be interesting to see.

DannyW

If it's causing you problems, it must be doing the same for other people at the stop sign. Maybe talk to some of your neighbors that are having the same problem as you, and collectively talk to the fence owner. Nicely.

It's easy to blow off one neighbor as a busy-body, but a group of people emphasizes to the fence owner that maybe it's a real concern.

It's tough to visualize the situation but if it's only 12' from the road centerline, that's too close! Someone could easily crash through the fence while dodging a cat or dog. Or a child on a bicycle.

westcobbdog

I’d contact the Codes Dept. or try to look up the codes in your town to find out exactly where the ROW ends. That way you’ll know if you’re in the right with a complaint before you involve the neighbor.
Is the fence inline with any utility poles or cable junction boxes?
Do t try to decipher any county ordinance, make the city or county come out and have a look for themselves. That's what they do.

BeerThirty

Just a thought, before calling the gestapo to report someone, you could just talk to them. They may be dumb or inconsiderate, but that doesn't mean they are malicious.

I think the mirrors are a good idea. If a neighbor came to me and asked me to put up mirrors, I would in a heartbeat. That'd be cheaper than having to redo the fence, certainly cheaper than a lawsuit and I'm betting they aren't out here purposely trying to create traffic incidents.

I'm just in the camp of "involve the gubnmint as a last resort".

Granted, I live in the boonies so what would I know.
I 100% agree with this. At least talk to your neighbor before you rat them out.

Let me tell you why it's good to address them personally, because I've experienced a similar situation. We live in a subdivision with large wooded lots (woods in front of homes/lots), very curvy road. It's very hard to see around the corner if someone else is coming, and it becomes a dangerous situation when people park multiple vehicles right on the curve because it's basically down to one thru lane. And, unfortunately, we have people that come flying around those corners so a head-on collision is very possible (even if only at 25 mph).

Anyway, one time a fed-up neighbor took it into their own hands and typed up an anonymous, hand-written, scathing letter to the owners of the homes that frequently parked on the turns. Lette recipients decided to post letter on facebook and it just spiraled downhill from there. Come to find out, the two main culprit homes had legit issues. One home was housing a full, extended family for a couple months waiting for their home to be built. Another home had extended family living with them temporarily due to medical care issues. So, there were legit reasons for having all the extra parked cars.

A simple conversation I think would have resulted in some understanding and easy compromise from all parties, but now we have a few neighbors that really hate each other and deliberately do things to rile each other up. I'm really glad I didn't get involved with that one.

SarahFair

I just called the code office and they have already been reported, are aware of it and are in the process of remedying the issue..

I asked them what the local code was and she said, at an intersection you can not have a "visible obstruction" 20' from the center of the road, a visible obstruction is anything over 2' tall, that includes bushes.