Fence blocking view of traffic

SarahFair

We have a corner lot neighbor that just built a fence around their side and front yard. Its a nice fence - problem is - now you can't see the oncoming traffic at the stop sign without having to pull out into the street. The way the road curves, you almost have to ease 1/2 way out. We've all almost been hit several times in the past couple months..

Can someone build a fence that causes that issue?
At the least, who can you ask for a convex mirror that goes on the telephone poles to help with seeing down roads?
It is within city limits.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would see if it is built on highway right of way. If it is, the city can have them move it. If it isn't, I don't know if it can be moved

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We have a corner lot neighbor that just built a fence around their side and front yard. Its a nice fence - problem is - now you can't see the oncoming traffic at the stop sign without having to pull out into the street. The way the road curves, you almost have to ease 1/2 way out. We've all almost been hit several times in the past couple months..

At the least, who can you ask for a convex mirror that goes on the telephone poles to help with seeing down roads?

The Public Works Department handles streets. I would call them.

LTZ25

Fence owner must be stupid if there's any view blocking going on . They will be sued as soon as first wreck happens . If its a 2 lane residential road it maybe 25 ft. + from center line .

ChidJ

Just a thought, before calling the gestapo to report someone, you could just talk to them. They may be dumb or inconsiderate, but that doesn't mean they are malicious.

I think the mirrors are a good idea. If a neighbor came to me and asked me to put up mirrors, I would in a heartbeat. That'd be cheaper than having to redo the fence, certainly cheaper than a lawsuit and I'm betting they aren't out here purposely trying to create traffic incidents.

I'm just in the camp of "involve the gubnmint as a last resort".

Granted, I live in the boonies so what would I know.

westcobbdog

Might need a mirror

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about there, but the problem with those mirrors here, is that they are frosted over so you can't see them most of about six months of the year.

LTZ25

By saying stupid I mean that would be the first thing I would consider when fence guy said how far are we going to take this fence . I was a road contractor and know if something bad happens , the parties involved will be looking to blame anyone but them .

SarahFair

Just a thought, before calling the gestapo to report someone, you could just talk to them. They may be dumb or inconsiderate, but that doesn't mean they are malicious.

I think the mirrors are a good idea. If a neighbor came to me and asked me to put up mirrors, I would in a heartbeat. That'd be cheaper than having to redo the fence, certainly cheaper than a lawsuit and I'm betting they aren't out here purposely trying to create traffic incidents.

I'm just in the camp of "involve the gubnmint as a last resort".

Granted, I live in the boonies so what would I know.
I think they are just young and didn't think about it, honestly I probably wouldnt have thought of it either. They also park in the back of the house off the street that you can't see down, so I don't even know if they are aware of it. :huh:

They wouldn't be the one climbing the telephone pole to put up the mirrors, so I was just going to bypass them to avoid any misconceived feelings.

Theres a mirror at the other end of the that road and a couple more around town, they work pretty well, but Ive seen them frosted over before.

Big7

The Oracle
There are DEFINITELY rules regarding roads and highways.

Depending on if you are in city limits or county, call city or county code enforcement. If it's not resolved, call GDOT. They have jurisdiction statewide.

LTZ25

Putting a private mirror on a public road , you just can't do that kind of stuff . That would be like putting up a speed limit sign .

SarahFair

Putting a private mirror on a public road , you just can't do that kind of stuff . That would be like putting up a speed limit sign .
These mirrors are put up by the government, I just wasnt sure of the department when it's a residential street in city limits

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Plenty of folks do it around here, that have driveways entering the road in the middle of blind curves and such. Never heard of anybody having an issue with the powers that be for doing it. They probably don't want people wrecking, either.

LTZ25

Agree with you NCH rural county roads are a different matter , but that's going to change soon . I've seen STOP signs installed on 5 ft posts out in small rural setting , none of that matters until it does .

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’d contact the Codes Dept. or try to look up the codes in your town to find out exactly where the ROW ends. That way you’ll know if you’re in the right with a complaint before you involve the neighbor.
Is the fence inline with any utility poles or cable junction boxes?

SarahFair

I’d contact the Codes Dept. or try to look up the codes in your town to find out exactly where the ROW ends. That way you’ll know if you’re in the right with a complaint before you involve the neighbor.
Is the fence inline with any utility poles or cable junction boxes?
Not sure, but I dont think so.

The SO looked at it today as we passed said it was about 12' from the center of the road, son looked up the plat and said gov has a 30' road easement.