What is a good group?

TreeJacker

My experience with rifle shooting / handloading bullets is that one inch groups at 100 yards is what I consider really solid accuraccy. I'll keep tweaking a load until I get to this point. (one minute of angle or better)

My question is what is the benchmark for accuracy in arrow groups?
10 yards, 20 yards, 30 yards, and beyond....just curious what you guys considered satisfactory, good and great.

gabowman

TJ, I strictly bow hunt so my practice is bowhunting yardages. I seldom shoot farther than 35 yards so that is usually my limit on practice which is usually done under hunting situations. I dont shoot groups any longer since arrows are so expensive. I shoot single arrows at individual dots or either am shooting unmarked animal targets. I know there are alot of folks that worry more about grouping arrows but I want my arrows within a inch or two of the dot I'm shooting for. This gives me confidence that when I draw on a deer I can put the arrow within a 4 inche circle which gives me a clean kill right thru the lungs. Dont get me wrong....I like hitting the dot EVERY shot, but I can live with my flyers out to 2" wide.

GB

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Although we all like for them to slap up against each other (which BTW is a good group), no different than rifle shooting, anything in the kill zone (lungs, heart) is a killing shot. Strive to drive tacks with your bow it is not only fun, but lethal.

Jim

reylamb

Groups don't matter........it is only the first arrow that counts when hunting.

But, for groups sake, 1 inches for every 10 yards from the target is pretty good. That also depends on how we measure groups.......

Timberman

Do like my brother used to do. He kept a mackenzie about 30 yards from his back door. Every morning when he left to go to work he'd pick up his bow which stayed by the back door and shoot one arrow. He always said it was the first one cold that counted...

taylornelms

GONetwork Member
Timberman, great advice im gonna do it tomorrow morning. That will realyl show me where im at. Im normally shooting good by the end of my practice but that doesnt really matter unless somoene on this board nkows how to keep an 8 pter still for a few minutes with arrows flyin past him.

HORTON

Shoot at dots

I shoot individual arrows at individual dots for 2 reasons. First of all, to save money by not hitting other arrows, fletching, etc. 2nd, I like to practice on a new target each arrow.
I would like for my arrows to be no more than 3" outside of center at 30 yds. Then I know its me and not my bow or pin setting.
But more importantly, I like to practice on a deer target.
Usually I'll shoot a few arrows at the dots to make sure its still on and quickly move to the deer target.

ar34shooter

Banned
grouping

grouping cost money in time.Id bank on making one good shot , then try to hit another one in another spot.try shooting 5 spots with 5 arrows.U can see how the groups is without slapping or busting nocks.
but that was a good group, but to me five good shots on the mark on different spots will make me think you are better.I go out when huntign season starts and walk out cold and fire one shot, and iff it hits the mark then im on.no use in showing off.

7Mag Hunter

Bow Accuracy

I agree with GaBowman..
I have 2 bows, one set up for hunting that I shoot broadheads at a target just to ensure it is dead on...A second bow for my exercise, and keep myself in tune before season...The target set ,up I shoot at "spots" (usually red tape) that is stuck to a big styrofoam block...
If I shoot ether bow at the same "spot" for 2-3 shots, I usually end up with bent or split arrows...
Arrows are expensive, and to try to group them can be costly...
You only get 1 shot at a deer, so try to concentrate on making "each shot"
on target... :cool:

7mag hunter