Plot seed question

Whitetailer

When it comes to food plot panting, I am kind of old school. I like the grasses and clovers. BUT, I need to plant some new areas on my lease because most of it is flooded. Even if the water goes down later it will be to late to plant my old plots. Question, has anyone ever used " Secret Spot" ?
I got a 4# bag at Bass Pro for ten bucks and broadcast it in a small patch of sunny woods. I have not seen the area since I plantad it. It is a no till seed and is just right for my purposes. Or any other seed I can plant in this manner?

Thanks, Whitetailer.

gadeerwoman

I believe in the adage that anytime you can get a chance to put in a food plot, do it !! Secret spot does okay but I can mix my own cheaper. I go with wheat, rye, ryegrass, clovers and brassicas and all those will no-till if they touch the ground and you overseed just before a good rain. Just make sure if season is open that you don't hunt anywhere near it until the plot is growing. Grain on the top of the ground will be considered baiting. And I've overseeded fall mix before anytime from Sept thru January and had a good result.

Whitetailer

Thanks for the input! When I broadcast the Secret Spot mix, I had some Rape and Arrowleaf Clover left, so I used it along with some Wheat. When I wrote my original post, I forgot I added those other seeds! It was the day before Jeanne, so I think had a good chance to germinate. I also spread some 10-10-10.

Appreciate It, Whiteailer

jman

It works good here on my farm in West Tennessee. We've got a few spots in the woods on the tops of a couple of ridges that get good sunlight. Deer hardly let anything out of the ground. Keep the stuff mowed down.