44 mag ammo

BJ4X4

I hunt with either a Ruger SBH 7 1/2" or a Redhawk 4", both in 44 Mag. I like heavy cast bullets, have used Buffalo Bore & Garrett ammo. Has anyone used anything else thats good, but cheaper? Someone told me about Reeds ammo, looks good, and less expensive too! Also, has anyone used Double Tap in 44 mag?

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
Before I started loading my own I used the Hornady XTPs. They work great for deer and hogs.

I haven't seen a good "factory" hard cast loading other than what you mentioned. You may want to consider a Semi Jacketed Soft point as well.

fishtail

In my 7 1/2" Ruger SBH been loading 180gr Hornady XTP with excellent results.
Killed to 80 yards, expands perfect and stays intact.

Last edited:

Handgunner

I used to shoot the 250gr Gold Dot partitions with great accuracy.

Now I'm shooting 200gr Hornady XTP's with the same accuracy, just a little less muzzle flip.

Devastating on deer...

BJ4X4

thanks for the comments, I also like the hornady xtp's for hollow points

firebiker

I use 240 grain Deer Stoppers, they are made by Georgia Arms and you can pick them up at any Gun show, use them in my pistol and Rifle and swear by them.

BJ4X4

I use 240 grain Deer Stoppers, they are made by Georgia Arms and you can pick them up at any Gun show, use them in my pistol and Rifle and swear by them.

Are these hardcast or hollowpoints? can I order them from somewhere, or are they only available at gun shows? Thanks!

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
You can order GA ammo from their website (IIRC). But you would be better off getting it from the gunshow. The entry fee to the show will probably be cheaper than the shipping.

Also, if you know somebody from over my way (Villa Rica) they could pick it up for you at the store and give it to you when you meet.

ATLRoach

Twenty five ought six,
I got this e-mail from the GA DNR!
You sure weren't "Whistling Dixie"!:smash:

Sir/Ma'am,
Please clarify the page 7,2008 Georgia Hunting Regulation:{Expanding Bullet}
DEER & BEAR FIREARMS: Modern Rifles
and Handguns: Centerfire Only, .22-cal. or larger
with expanding bullets.

Is a 44magnum handgun loaded with 300grain cast semi-wadcutter a legal load?
Mike

Sir,

Semi-wadcutters and wadcutters are not legal bullets for hunting in Georgia. Examples of legal bullets are hollow points, soft points, and ballistic tips.

Sincerely,

Alex Coley
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
Wildlife Resources Division
Game Management-Walton Complex
2065 U.S. Highway 278 S.E.
Social Circle, GA 30025
770-918-6416
Alex.Coley@dnr.state.ga.us

Mike

Funny is they allow cast lead and round balls for Muzzlestuffers.

tv_racin_fan

There was a time when if you wanted to hunt with a 357 it had to be a six inch or better gun. I bought my Ruger GP100 just that way. The next year the rules were changed to read any round delivering 500ft lbs at 50 yards I believe (may have been 100). There were only a couple 357 loads that were legal.

The lead ball and conicals used in a muzzle loader are pure lead (unless you cast your own differently). Most cast bullets are hard cast not pure lead.

ATLRoach

There was a time when if you wanted to hunt with a 357 it had to be a six inch or better gun. I bought my Ruger GP100 just that way. The next year the rules were changed to read any round delivering 500ft lbs at 50 yards I believe (may have been 100). There were only a couple 357 loads that were legal.

The lead ball and conicals used in a muzzle loader are pure lead (unless you cast your own differently). Most cast bullets are hard cast not pure lead.

It was 500lb at 100yds up until a few years ago.

BJ4X4

I do alot of hog hunting in other states, thats where I like to use hardcast, for deer here at home hollowpoints do the job. Although I never did understand the reasoning behind the whole expanding bullet thing, hardcast bullets work ALOT better on hogs and bear because they usually penetrate completely through, breaking down anything in the way and leaving a good blood trail, if trailing is even necessary. Hollowpoints can expand and STOP inside an animal, maybe not causing enough damage to make a clean kill! I wish Ga would change that law, no harm that I know of by using a hardcast bullet. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
BJ4X4,

You are not wrong. Hardcast bullets perform very well for all hunting applications. It will punch right through them. What I don't understand is that my .243 with Speer Grand Slams is perfectly legal, but my .44 with hardcast is not. The .44 hardcast will leave a bigger wound channel than the .243.

BJ4X4

Exactly my point! I too hunt with handguns only, and I'm just not comfortable trusting a hollowpoint to bring down a big hog or ? It's taking a chance that you'll lose that animal, I like to stop 'em in their tracks. With a high powered rifle, you have more velocity and energy to get the job done, but with a revolver, you need all the help you can get. I shot a 250lb boar last yr using a jsp at approx 60-70 yds with iron sights, so shot placement wasn't exact, the bullet did not pass through, there was no blood trail, I was lucky I didn't lose it! I found it after it had run about 100 yds. It was hit in the ribs. I have taken similar shots using hardcast bullets and they dropped immediately!

BJ4X4

Before I started loading my own I used the Hornady XTPs. They work great for deer and hogs.

I haven't seen a good "factory" hard cast loading other than what you mentioned. You may want to consider a Semi Jacketed Soft point as well.

So, what do you use now that you reload, and with the XTP's did you use 240's or 300's or ?

BJ4X4

10-4, I'll check 'em out, thanks