tomato worm ??

irwoodsman

i need some help, i've never seen this type of worm on my late tomato plants before.
can anyone i.d. this for me
and how can i rid myself of it? its about 3 inches long and as big around as your little finger.
thanks

Attachments

• worm (600 x 450).jpg
    worm (600 x 450).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 662

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Tomato hornworm. Snatch em off there and stomp em. Sprinkle Sevin Dust on the plants.

They make great fish bait.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My Blue Heeler will eat every one of those things she can find. They must taste awful though cause her face turns inside out while she`s eatin` em. Truly one of the funniest things I`ve ever seen.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Dipel Dust is highly recommended for Horn Worms. I tried it last year also and it worked fine on my plants.

Holton

Get em off there.........they will eat all the foilage off your plants in short order.

Ya got any extra maters?

irwoodsman

holton
not yet i planted them late so i could have them in november at deer camp!
yea come on!!!!

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tomato Hornworm

Pick em' off. Check your plants daily. Their handiwork is quite evident. When you see missing foliage (stems without leaves), usually at top of plant, you have your assignment. Find him.

You can spray if you like. Dipel would be the preferred pesticide since it is not toxic to humans. It is also effective on corn ear worms which will bore into green tomatoes near the stem.

Generally, hornworms are never numerous. I had a long row of tomatoes (now deceased) and I picked one hornworm off all summer. This supports the idea of picking them off as opposed to spraying.

Vernon

jeclif

put a fish hook trough them and float then just off the bottom
you remove the problem have fun and sometimes get supper :cheers:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
tomato worms

Yeah, they taste real bad...so do cutworms.

Bone Collector

irwoodsman said:
i need some help, i've never seen this type of worm on my late tomato plants before.
can anyone i.d. this for me
and how can i rid myself of it? its about 3 inches long and as big around as your little finger.
thanks

It looks like he ate too much before you caught him. He looks like a drunk that has fallen face first in his own puke.:rofl:

BC