Recommendations (Key West)?

Artmom

Hi, all. I will be in the Key West FL and Marathon (Bay?) FL area in June. Is there anything I should not miss seeing/eating/doing while there? What about on the drive there (from Columbus, GA)? I always appreciate your suggestions.

Jacob_24

you may learn a word or two in czech. There are a lot of us in there. It's nice there, we took a boat trip around the keywest that included food and alcohol, and a beautiful july 4th firework's show from the land. it's nice to rent a scooter to ride around since traffic can get a bit congested in the peak hours.

StriperAddict

Charter fishing or suba diving. I don't remember names (1993) but get local info on both. I'd be going there to do that, and that's pretty much "it" !

Artmom

So far so good (advice). Keep those comments coming! Yes, I do usually go out deep sea fishing - when in FL - (when my Mom can watch my girls).

Randy

Get off the main roads and see some of the back streets. See the Hemingway house, the furthest point south in the US, Margaritaville, eat at the Conch Factory, go in the art shops, tour the marina, take a jetskj tour around the island, take a flight over to the Dry Tortugas. Take an evening sail and of course don't miss the sunset on Mallory Square.

RGRJN

Not in Key West, Islamoroda. Go to Robbies and the feed the tarpon.

http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

Go watch the Sunset. There is one plaza where a bunch of street performers go, and the crowd gathers to watch.

At least once go the Bar/Pier at the west end of Duvall street after dark. It sits out over the water with lights down in the water and watch the huge fish that come in.

Joe

secondseason

Retired Administrator
In Marathon go to the Key Fisheries it is on the right just south of the airport. They have a lobster ruben that is incredible. It's also on the water and they will give you scraps to feed the tarpon. Very good eats and not to expensive.

Also, in Marathon go to A Deep Blue Dive Center they do diving, snorkle trips, hooka, and fishing. Very affordable ask for Jeffrey.

It is beautiful there. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Artmom

Thanks guys! These suggestions will definitely add to my experience! I'll post pictures afterward so you can see what we did during our stay. I'm making my list...

Lightninrod

My wife and I lived there the first two years of our marriage. This was in 1964-65:hair:.

We loved eating at the A&B Lobster House. Now, we haven't been there since then and I was surprised to see it's still there(in the location too--away from the downtown area) when I googled it. The fried grouper steak with yellow rice and black beans with real Cuban bread was wonderful...back then.

If you have time you have to visit the dry tortugas. awesome boat ride and awesome experience. Also you need to go diving. Try dive key west. very nice and professional people.

DBM78

Not in Key West, Islamoroda. Go to Robbies and the feed the tarpon.

http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

Go watch the Sunset. There is one plaza where a bunch of street performers go, and the crowd gathers to watch.

At least once go the Bar/Pier at the west end of Duvall street after dark. It sits out over the water with lights down in the water and watch the huge fish that come in.

Joe

The place to watch the sunset is Mallory Square ist not hard to find.

Go to the trip adviser website there is a ton of information at this site and a lot of reviews of hotels and places to eat.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

deedly

There is a bird sanctuary on the right side of the road going south. I think it is right past Key Largo. It is a place that takes wounded birds and nurses them back to health. My children like this place and they accept donations instead of an entrance fee. Sorry I cannot remember the name. Just look for the sign, although it is very small.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Try a breakfast omlette at Harriet's just south of Key Largo.......:cool:

crackerdave

The best thing I can suggest: You AND your daughters will love a snorkeling trip.
It takes a few minutes to get comfortable keeping your face in the water and breathing through a tube,but once you get it,I promise you'll LOVE it! It's a different,beautiful world around a coral reef,and snorkeling is like "flying" above it.

ilovelabs

My husband took me to the butterfly conservatory in Key West. I just loved all the butterflies & small birds flying around and the butterflies would land on you. http://www.keywestbutterfly.com/ I wish I could go again!!!
Have fun on your trip :cheers: Oh don't forget the Hard Rock Cafe too :cool: