01' Tahoe Seatbelt Problem

specialk

My passenger seat belt tightens up and will not release unless you un-snap it and let it go all the way in. Anybody got any suggestions on what to do to fix it??

fasn8nmom

Mine does the same thing. When you figure it out let me know.

specialk

fasn8nmom said:
Mine does the same thing. When you figure it out let me know.

will do......trying to avoid dealership($$$).....

garndawg

It might be a too-sensative inertial reel lock, but it also might be one of those new childseat safety belts. My '99 Z71 has 'em in the back, but they might've put them in the front pax in later years.

To check, pull the seat belt out completely and let it slowly retract. If you can hear a slight clicking as it rewinds, it's the child safety type. It's for securing child carseats, and I don't think you can disable it.

If it doesn't click, then it's probably the inertial reel is too touchy. Don't know if you can adjust that or not.

Hope that helps...

BIGGUS

GONetwork Member
My '03 Tahoe Z-71 does the same thing on the passenger side only. What's wierd is my wife has a small '01 Mercedes SUV has the same problem AND I was in a friend's late model F-150 the other day that did it too! I started thinking maybe there was a conspiracy against fat guys ridin' shotgun. If anybody finds out anything about this please help clear this up.

specialk

BIGGUS said:
My '03 Tahoe Z-71 does the same thing on the passenger side only. What's wierd is my wife has a small '01 Mercedes SUV has the same problem AND I was in a friend's late model F-150 the other day that did it too! I started thinking maybe there was a conspiracy against fat guys ridin' shotgun. If anybody finds out anything about this please help clear this up.

haha(i'm a fat guy too!!) i am now using a safety pin, i pull the belt out to the desired length and put the safety pin in the belt near the top of the seat where it retracts.