Oconee NF

Matt Jones

Anyone hunt Oconee NF just south of Jackson lake. just curios. I hunted today found a nice scrape line and had a deer blowing but never saw it. I guess it smelt me. Just curios were everyone is hunting dont want to walk in on someone. :D :bounce:

matthewsman

matt

that area gets hammered all year,try getting down toward the middle of that area.The bottom part gets plenty of Macon folks and the top gets jackson newton etc.Try to find a larger section and get off the road in the morning a nd closer to it in the evening(folks coming out may push something to you.Also plow around in some of the older thicker clearcuts,sometimes you can find a small drainage with some white oaks that doesn't get as much traffic as the large hardwood hills.good luck

Schulze

matt just call up the forestry service in the area. They should beable to mail one.

jkp

Matt,
I hunt it alot, but despite what everyone says, I have never run up on or had anyone come up on me while hunting. I see more scapes and rubs there everyyear than any where else. I have seen tons of does and some nice bucks down by the river, but we walk a long way from the roads. The only thing I hate is the season is different with doe days than all other lands. Be sure you check the regulations because it is closed on the old midseason break and doe days are only a few weeks instead of all season like surrounding counties. I'll be down there when the doe days start.
J