New to Fly fishing

I know there are a thousand other threads like this one, but I looked through about 10 and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I'll make my own. I'm going on a trip to Gatlinburg, Tn this saturday for a full week. I've always wanted to try fly fishing, and this seemed like a good opportunity. The only problem is, I have no idea what to get! I have two uncles and a grandpa that have all been fly fishing for 40+ years, but they all live in Kansas or Alaska, so I really don't have anyone to ask around here haha. I want a rod that is collapsible, so it will travel easily. It doesn't have to break down into 6 pcs or anything, a 2 piece would do fine I would think. I want to be able to use it for trout on this trip, but would also like it to be useful for bass and bream in the farm ponds around my house. I was thinking maybe a 9' 6wt combo? I don't know what brand I should get. I really don't want to spend much over $150 max for my combo and some flies (reccomendations for these for where I'm going would also be appreciated). Thanks for the help in advance!

fishnpreacher

A 6wt rod is just a bit over the top for trout and bream, and good for bass. I would drop down a weight and go with a 5wt. As for multiple piece rods, you can get 2, 3, 4 or more piece rods. Cabelas has a "Stowaway" that is a 5 or 6 piece rod.
Almost all fly rods will be 2 pc or more.
If you get up to Bass Pro Shop, I'm sure they will have some multi piece rods for you to wiggle. Its possible to get this for under $150, I'm just not sure if BPS has anything in stock.
If you want to order over the 'net, check out Cabelas. They have some starter kits with flies and tippet.
You'll probably need the following flies
Dry flies...Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, Stimulator
Streamers....Wooly Boogers
Nymphs....Pheasant tail, Prince, Gold ribbed hares ear
Junk Food....Y2K, San Juan worm
Just remember, most foods that a trout eat are less than 1/4 inch long and drab colored. Then you run into the times when what they want resembles nothing you have

devolve

I have the exact same rod and reel as your link. I just got back into fly fishing after a 12 year drought. It performs well and does the job and its the right price for starting out. I have a 7' 4 weight. If I were you I would get a 5 weight.

JMHO

--c--

Tightliner

Ditto on the 5wt. Although, I'd shoot for at least an 8'6", longer rods load much better. Dont scrimp on your line, the line you cast can make or break the outfit!

Later...................................

Dean

Check out

the 8' 6" 5 wt...maybe a Temple Fork 4 pc. With some web searching you can find a combo deal. This will get you rod, reel, floating WF line. You will need a few packs of leaders in different sizes and a spool or two of tippet.

centerpin fan

I really don't want to spend much over $150 max for my combo and some flies

I'd also suggest a 9' 5wt. Bass Pro and Cabelas both sell "combos" with a rod, reel, and line. Check out the following:

Bass Pro Hobbs Creek Combo
Cabelas Three Forks Combo

Redington's Crosswater combo is another option and is available at both BP and Cabelas. Same goes for Temple Forks (TFO.)

Scientific Anglers sells another combo (check out Amazon.) Their rods are not quite as "pretty" as some of the others, but they're inexpensive and they cast well.

Finally ... do yourself a favor and get a casting DVD and practice.

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up going with a BPS Hobbs Creek outfit 5 wt 8'6. As far as flys go, I just bought a caddis life cycle assortment, some poppers, and some grass hopper looking things. I'm going to buy a good bit more when I get to gatlinburg on friday or saturday. Also got me a creel and some leaders and other goodys, but I didn't buy any waders. Any idea what the water temperature will be in gatlinburg streams this time of year? I planned on just wading with some shorts, but I may go ahead and buy some waders before I go.

I took the combo out yesterday to a local pond and caught about 5 bream with the hopper. I can say its the most fun I've had fishing.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Also got me a creel and some leaders and other goodys, but I didn't buy any waders. Any idea what the water temperature will be in gatlinburg streams this time of year? I planned on just wading with some shorts, but I may go ahead and buy some waders before I go.

My experience with the streams up there is that they are mighty cold.