Hard Cast Bullets and their Legality

EMC-GUN

We have gone round and round about this and there are some folks who absolutely lock up in fits over this topic to prove that they are correct. We all also know what the regulations say about expanding bullets. I was getting ready to pan lube some of my "Hard Cast Bullets" the other night and I dropped one on my hardwood floors. It landed on the front driving band on an angle. It put quite the nasty dent on the band! So I guess my bullets (equivalent to Lyman #2) aren't all that hard after all. I have shot some Oregon Trail bullets and you could almost load them after shooting them. Those suckers are HARD!

tas6691

Hard cast bullets do expand on game, although not as much as a jacketed or hollow point. I have used both for years and have never noticed a difference in how fast a deer drops as long as I make a good shot. The regs state "expanding bullets" to disqualify FMJ ammo in my understanding.

I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I could be mistaken.....

EMC-GUN

You are correct Sir, but will meet opposition here in regards to using cast hunting loads.

hawgrider1200

Since the regulation sez u have to shoot an expanding bullet, I imagine any bullet u use that does expand will be legal. I'd be willing to bet that unless one is using FMJ ammo the game wardens will be ok with the ammo.

EMC-GUN

Since the regulation sez u have to shoot an expanding bullet, I imagine any bullet u use that does expand will be legal. I'd be willing to bet that unless one is using FMJ ammo the game wardens will be ok with the ammo.

I agree, but some don't!

GAR

Cast Bullets

The June issue of HANDLOADER magazine pretty well sums up the use of cast bullets in rifles and the same can be said for handguns.

I will stick with my Keith and LBT style cast bullets!!!!!

GAR

Larry Rooks

I don't oppose cast bullets, as I been using them for YEARS
in my hunting handgun, and they have ALWAYS worked
perfectly. $$ mag, 275 gr flat nose, 41 mag 215 gr Keith
type semi wad cutter, 45 colt, 255 gr Keith type semi wadcutter. They ALL work great on deer and hogs:banana: