Does I-75 split the deer activity?

Gone Fishin

Does anyone notice a difference in the deer from one side of the interstate to the other?

1) Size
2) Numbers
3) Rut
4) Ratio

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I was just wondering that this weekend as we traveled down to Valdosta. I noticed that there is a high fence on both sides of the highway from about Tifton on traveling south. I assume it is to keep motorists safe from the deer from trying to cross.

E

early riser

As far as I know, a large portion of the interstate highway system does have right of way fencing. I assume it's to keep some animals off the freeway system, but we know they are not usually high enough to keep deer from jumping over them.

Below I found some information that may interest you since the question was concerning Interstate Highway Fencing, deer movements, and the effects of deer, fencing and the highway system.

Hope you find this useful.

http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/Deer/litreview2.htm
early riser

Gone Fishin

I know I-10 has 8ft fense from I-75 to Panamah City area (I haven't gone past that point over the last couple of years). I also saw it on I-75 in the Valdosta area and was thinking, "Can the deer jump that?" I would think this would tend to separate the deer.

Don't forget about the culverts fellas. Wildlife, including deer will use the large culverts, creek crossings, etc to move from one side of the road to another.

The road that I live on is far from being I-75, but I do have a creek culvert going under the road at one corner of my property. When I first purchased the property several years ago and the hunting pressure was high, the deer would use that creek culvert to get from one side of the road to the other. It looked like a cow trail going in and out of either side.

JerryC

I would think the Chattahoochee could have more impact separating the deer than I75. I've seen them cross rivers, but it is a pretty good barrier. -JerryC

QuackAddict

A deer could definitely jump an 8 ft fence if it wanted to. I have watched as a doe got her front legs over a 10 ft fence but fell back to the ground. She almost made it.