Civil War Pics

Sniper Bob

wow...thanks for sharing those pics....very interesting stuff...please post more.

whitworth

Miles and miles of background information to see. . .

in these pictures.

Anyone on this non Civil War site know what City Point, Virginia(shown in the pictures) was noted for in the war.

It was not known for a major battle? Does anyone know?

TNGIRL

A great pictorial of the most tragic period of time in our Nations past. Too many from both sides dead. I've seen so many of these pictures in books, the trenchs always make me tear up. I can't think about the loved ones at home that never knew what became of their men, without my heart breaking for them.
WW, I remember City Point being one of Grants headquarters, it's on a river (I think) so would be good supply depo and hospital for wounded. Not sure of anything else without cking into books(or google!!) But I'm probably wrong. Thanks for the history revisited.:)

westcobbdog

in these pictures.

Anyone on this non Civil War site know what City Point, Virginia(shown in the pictures) was noted for in the war.

It was not known for a major battle? Does anyone know?

confederate secret service planted a torpedo / bomb at the union supply depot..killed 58 and wounded over 100.

whitehunter

It is were Grant had his head quarters, which is also by the james river. It was at City Point that President Lincoln, Grant, and other important military official met to discuss how to reunify the country once the war was done.

GA_MTN_MAN

I used this site for a home school lesson. My 10yr old really got a lot from it.

Redbow

Thanks for the site link, very nice pictures ! I remember seeing a lot of them before in books about the Civil War !

Over the years I have seen many people and worked with some that actually resembled some of the Confederate Generals and officers that served under Lee in the Civil War ! A couple of people I have known in the past could have almost doubled for a couple of those Confederate Generals ! That was always amazing to me !