Turtle Shell Pot

C

Cedar Creek

Found a perfect size shell this year while walking to my treestand. Anybody around west metro atlanta that can make me a slate out of it, or cut a piece to fit it for me????

thanks,
Creek

Burl E.

Slate

Hey, C.C. would a 3" or a 3 1/2" round slate work? I have those two sizes. Let me know and I'll mail them to you

C

Cedar Creek

its an oblong shape, around 5x4 inches. ive never made one before so i was going to try it out. where can you buy slate at??? thanks for the offer.

fight roosters, save america!

Duramax

I have made several out of a turtle shell and slate. It takes some time and sweet talking to get the slate to fit just right, but it can be done!

Duramax

Funny enough I went to Home Depot and told the guy what I was using it for and he just told me to get a chunk of it. I then used a chisel to chip me a piece off the big chunk to work with. Then sanded it to the thickness I wanted and then cut the slate to fit inside the shell.

There may be easier methods but this worked for me.

Burl E.

Here's one ....

Here is a turtle shell call I made.

Attachments

• turkey call strikers 007 (600 x 450).jpg
    turkey call strikers 007 (600 x 450).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 803
C

Cedar Creek

Burle,

that looks good. its about the same size as my shell. i was going to stain the shell with some wood stain and then spray it with some enamel. i got to get some slate.

gblrklr

I think Duramax has the idea. I have made several turtle shell calls. We used thick slate that we would start to thin by splitting it on the edge with a knife and a hammer. There was some waste, but slate is a layered rock so it will separate along the layers. If you have a belt sander it can be taken down from there, otherwise a wood rasp will get it down pretty quickly.

Burl E.

CC PM me with your address and I'll mail you a 3 1/2" round slate. You can move it around to find a fit. If it is too small save it for the next shell you find.

alex30808

CC...I have some slate sheets...PM your address to me or Email it to me and I'll send you a few pcs to try out...that way if you mess up...you got another...:cheers:

Al33

I once found some old slate shingles. Missing Ridge made several turtle or tarapin shell calls with a few pieces I gave him. There are still a few old houses that have the slate shingles if you can find them. The shingles are about 1/8th inch thick and can be sanded down easily.

C

Cedar Creek

thank you all for your suggestions. you can mail me at
PO Box 1553
Marietta,Ga 30061

i am new at call making and will post my pics with an up to date story line on the progress. the shell design is really coming together with a large turkey track painted on the bottom side. i want a natural look so i think i will go with a deep honey stain. i was going to paint each individual growth plate to make it camo, but decided against it. i am also going to make a scratch box soon.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I made one with aluminum not to long ago. I used cardboard and cut it until i got the fit i wanted. I then traced the outline on the metal so i got a good fit the first time.

Attachments

• turkey calls 001.jpg
    turkey calls 001.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 202