Javelina

fredw

Retired Moderator
Anyone hunted Javelina?

I'll be chasing turkey in Texas and have an opportunity to stay a couple of extra days after the bird hunt to chase javelina. Is a 243 too much gun?

Bustem

Nah..You will be ok with a 243, my cousin shot one with his 7mag when we were in texas. Cool looking mount, but that thing stunk skinning it!

Inthegarge

They are kinda small but 243 will be fine. It is an adventure hunting them as they are fast. Good luck with your hunt....RW

swamp hunter

They don,t always run away like Piney woods Rooters. Kinda run then stop and smack their jaws together. don,t see real well. I hunted a bunch in SW Texas. don,t think they,d been hunted in years. We shot 1/2 with a Long Range , Then switched to Shotguns1/2, Then Bows,1/2 Then we just watched them . It was kinda easy. Related to Bears not Pigs. Cool skull Mount. WATCH OUT FOR THEM CATUS!!

ylhatch

.243 is plenty they are nasty .make a cool skull mount but stink to high heavens when cleaning

fredw

Retired Moderator
Fellows, thanks for the responses.

Looks like those things make a nice looking mount.....either european or head mount. They look to have some teeth.

scambooger

the stink comes from that gland on their back close to the rump. we always would cut that off and toss it first thing before we would get started cleaning them.

bird dog

Fred we hunted them last year in SW texas. We had a blast I hunted with a 243ssm it did the job well. I killed one that was 3 pounds from a state record he was huge.

Attachments

• Texas Trip 2009 025.jpg
    Texas Trip 2009 025.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 648
  • Texas Trip 2009 024.jpg
    Texas Trip 2009 024.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 647
  • Texas Trip 2009 023.jpg
    Texas Trip 2009 023.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 666
  • Texas Trip 2009 022.jpg
    Texas Trip 2009 022.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 660
  • Texas Trip 2009 021.jpg
    Texas Trip 2009 021.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 670

fredw

Retired Moderator
Fred we hunted them last year in SW texas. We had a blast I hunted with a 243ssm it did the job well. I killed one that was 3 pounds from a state record he was huge.
Jim, very nice!

Did you do a mount and, if so, who did you use?

bird dog

Yes I had a sholder mout and scull mount done. I guy in taylor co did it for 300.00 for all of that

SFR292

I've shot them in AZ before, my experience is they run in very large groups, have lots of ammo handy when you get on them. It's like someone bred a german sheppard and a pig together, very mean and nasty animals. IMO they're faster than a wild hog or boar too.
.243 works just fine, I used both an AR and a SKS just for the fact of fast second or fifth shots...depends on how fast I could shoot lol

weekender

lots of fun with the bow,

KaysJavelina.jpg

GregsJavelina.jpg

austintm1991

ive hunted them in south texas. i recomend a 50 cal or something close. then you doint have to throwem in a gut pile. i hate those things but they sure are fun to bow hunt!

killa86

.243 is way more than enough theyre not that tuff we went last year and 2 of my friends killed javelinas. dont overthink them too much.

Texas7mag

"Related to Bears not Pigs"Quote

A javelina is not a pig, a feral hog or a wild boar. Although similar in appearance to a pig, it is a collared peccary. Along evolutionary lines, a collared peccary is a distant relative of wild pigs and hippos. Scientists know it as Pecari tajacu.**

Biologists say the confusion probably started as soon as European explorers arrived in the New World. The javelina is native to the Western Hemisphere, while true pigs developed in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Distinguishing characteristics include size. Javelinas are small and compact, weighing from 30 to 55 pounds, while adult feral hogs can reach 100 pounds or more. Javelinas are a grizzled brown and black with a white band of coarse hair, its "collar," around the neck. Feral hogs come in a variety of colors and combinations of colors. Less obvious differences include that the javelina has four-hoofed toes on its front feet, but only three-hoofed toes on the hind feet, where the outer dewclaw present on a pig is absent in javelinas. Javelinas also have shorter tails and their canine teeth or "tusks" grow vertically rather than away from the face.

56willysnut

javelina

they make an awesome pet if you can catch a little one!! they are just like a dog

Hunter Haven

I shot my fair share of them while hunting in Southwest Texas(Maverick Co.) They were a blast to shoot. I had the most fun shooting them at long range.... Not hard at all to hunt them and harvest a few. Whether you choose to get up close and personal, or you want to shoot them at a distance, it is very easy to do. THEM JOKERS STINK THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't say I didnt warn ya:bounce: