First Fly Rod for 7 (almost 8) year old son

DryFly73

Hi Folks,

This is my first time posting in this particular forum, but I do read a good many of the posts here. I have a question. I would like to get my 7 year old boy into fly fishing... any suggestions on a starter rod? I have several different length rods that I use, but did not know if I should think about something specific for him (length, weight, etc.). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KINGFISHER

I agree with centerpin fan on the Bug Launcher. Also Tim Rajeff's company Echo, makes a fly rod for kids called the Gecko. Looks like a kid would really like it, it's really colorful.

stasher1

x2

I have one of each and think they're pretty hard to beat for the price. As a matter of fact, I spent the weekend fishing the Toccoa and Fightingtown Creek, and used my little 7' EC Featherlight more than the more expensive rigs I had brought.

fishinbub

x2

I have one of each and think they're pretty hard to beat for the price. As a matter of fact, I spent the weekend fishing the Toccoa and Fightingtown Creek, and used my little 7' EC Featherlight more than the more expensive rigs I had brought.

They are both great rods. I have several rods now but nothing has replaced my 7' Eagle Claw Granger as my small stream rod. It is incredibly light, which is a big plus for kids. You don't want to give them something they can't handle.

DryFly73

I hate to say this, but I don't want to spend much at this age. I have 3 TFO rods that I fish with now that I absolutely LOVE. I would love to buy him a TFO rod, but not until he gets the hang of it. I would like to get him something that he can learn on, make mistakes on, bang up, etc. I will certainly take a look at the Eagle Claw's. THANKS!!

yaknfish

Another option would be an Ugly Stik. Never fished one, but I like the spinning rods. They had 'em at Dick's last time I was there. Might not be quite as cheap as those yellow Eagle Claws, but he probably won't break it!

croaker

Hi Folks,

any suggestions on a starter rod? I have several different length rods that I use, but did not know if I should think about something specific for him (length, weight, etc.). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

6-7' 3 or 4wt or the shortest lightest flyrodrod you already have.

Take him Bream fishin'.

gabulldog

my son is 8 and well all i can tell ya cheaper is better the first one will ether not last long or he will not want to use it much no need in dropin alot of cash its about fishing and learning not geting mad when he breaks it or dont like it

zekekb

I'm shopping for my son as well. I've read that the Eagle Claw Featherlites are great because they have a slower action, making it easier for people with imperfect cast. For the price, I cant see how not to buy one as a first rod. I'll buy him a Sage for graduation.

What about teaching methods. I found a book on Amazon, First Cast: Teaching Kids to Fly-Fish . Has anyone read or used this book?

yaknfish

There's a Redington Minnow Combo in the current Bass Pro flyer. Made for kids, whatever that means, and on sale for $100.

atljohnfe

I got my 8 y/o the LL Bean kids rod. 5 wt. about 7.5 feet. $75 and works great. Comes pre-lined.