Kicking myself

Just 1 More

Saturday afternoon at 5:15 I caught some movement to my right, and soon made out the legs of a deer at 75 yards. A nice mature doe worked her way down the trail and was passing right in front of me at 35 yards. The shot was longer than I prefer but a very doable shot. I drew as she reached a clear opening but, she turned directly at me. She continued towards me and at 20 yards steped in to the brushy stuff. I had to let down and wait. She worked her way through the brush and stopped at 20 yards to my left, perfectly broadside but there was a small limb with a few leaves so I waited. She must have smelled something so she froze right there... all I needed was for her to take one more step. She stood there for 10 minutes. You could see her muscles twitching from bugs biting her. She never blew or stomped but did turn and walk away. I keep kicking myself for not taking the shot at that time but I was waiting for that "perfect" shot oppertunity... I guess I waited to long. Oh well, i'll be back next weekend.

Jeff Phillips

Never kick yourself for not taking a shot that did not feel right. Our instincts are usually pretty right on and a rushed or wrong shot will really get you to beating yourself up.

Sounds like a great hunt with a close encounter :D

Al33

Quote: all I needed was for her to take one more step.

How many times has that happened to me? :rolleyes: :D Turkies are good at it too. :bounce:

I'm with Jeff, you did good, no reason to kick. :clap: Just shows you are trying to do things right and respect the animals you pursue.

Al

Arrow Flinger

That's bowhunting and you made the right decision. I learned along time ago that my instincts were more reliable than my brain any day.

HMwolfpup

have to agree

Especially with a bow, if you aren't sure of your shot, then don't shoot. Better to let 'em walk and wait for another day than to wound one with a bad shot.

braintree

You said you could have shot her at 35 yards. 35 yards looks like 100 yards when you got a deer on the other side of youre full draw. Even thought we practice and are proficient at 35 yards it doesn't make it any easier to hit the release.