Doe with 45 Colt

Seminole Wind

I ended the season with this doe and a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt. She came toward my stand and turned broadside at 35 yards. A high shoulder shot with a 265 gr Swift Aframe dropped her in her tracks. It’s been a good season with 2 eight point bucks and a doe with 3 different revolvers.

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpeg
    IMG_0338.jpeg
    712.1 KB · Views: 42

furtaker

I guess you can probably get 44 Magnum performance from the 45 Colt with good handloads can't you? I've always thought that would be a good handgun hunting round when properly handloaded. Plus you get a little bigger bore size out of the 45.

Seminole Wind

I guess you can probably get 44 Magnum performance from the 45 Colt with good handloads can't you? I've always thought that would be a good handgun hunting round when properly handloaded. Plus you get a little bigger bore size out of the 45.
Yes you can easily match or exceed the performance of a 44 magnum with handloads in the right gun. Both cartridges are great hunting rounds.

Anvil Head

45 Colt is an excellent hog cartridge as well. I handload 255gr. semi's (I cast my own). Found a load that is mid range 44magish and shoots very well in both my Ruger and Henry BB. Knocks the dirt off a big hog. PB is 350+. Lots of smaller ones as well. Taking a deer with that load is nothing, no doubt when you can see the hole.
Long range - nope, but I like to hear them breathing before I tap the cap.