.45 Colt load thoughts

Adam5

I have an original Ruger Vaquero that I load .45 Colt for. I have some high end Ruger/TC only load that’s that are near max @1300fps and a handful. I have some standard .45 Colt target loads that are mild and in the 750-800fps range. I would like some that are between the two. I’m looking at sending by 255gr cast lead semi-wadcutters somewhere in the 950 - 1150 range. I can load standard .45 Colt loads at max charges or Ruger/TC loads at minimum charges. Which would you do?

This is my only .45 Colt pistol, so there’s no concern with Ruger/TC only loads in a pistol that’s not rated for them.

trial&error

So you are already shooting max loads through your pistol. Then what is the question? Are you asking how to reach your desired speed? Or if that's too fast for a wad cutter? Maybe it's just too early for me to be reading.

transfixer

from my understanding the original Vaquero could handle the higher pressure loads, as the cylinder was larger and chamber walls slightly thicker, I think what you're asking is which reloading data should you go by ? if so I don't think it really matters which chart you use , for my use I've never wanted to drive cast lead bullets over 1000fps, because of them potentially leading up the barrel, and even at that speed it may still lead up the rifling . I have loaded some cast at higher velocities in the past, but only in limited quantities and strictly for hunting purposes

rosewood

I imagine unique powder or bluedot using ruger only loads will hit right where u are looking.

The vaquero will handle more than the shooter can..

Been pushing pb lead boolits powder cast to 1700fps and no leading in my 38-55.

Attachments

• 20231112_194323.jpg
    20231112_194323.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231112_194142.jpg
    20231112_194142.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 2

Adam5

I ended up changing my mind a little. I forget that I loaded a hundred at 1100 when I first got it. This time I decided to stay close to the original 900fps spec for the cartridge. I went with 9.6gr of AA5 with my 255gr cast flat points. They should clock a little 900.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpeg
    IMG_0422.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 1