How do you hunt in a gale?

DocCuller

I was fortunate to be able to hunt today but the wind was something else. I mean it was blowing leaves from trees but thankfully it was not raining. What techniques would you use to counter the wind?

rutandstrut

I use a Lamar Williams Paddle Call, My own Crystal Call and one of my Anodized Aluminum Calls when it is windy. They are Higher Pitched and will reach out and touch them when nothing else seems to do it! You may not be able to hear them GOOOOOOBLING, but they are on their way! So be ready!

Perkins

It is tough but most of the time I just try to be in an area where I think they will be and I can hear them early, and get a few calls off to them before it really gets bad windy. then if it doesn't happen early just hang out and wait.

Turkeydoghunter

what ever call you use call loud and between gusts....stay put and dont move around ....be watching because the birds sneak in quiet....thats what happend this week end it was high winds , ahad a jake, hen , and long beard come in ,but we couldnt get a shot ...i told the hunter i was guiding that would happen and it did 10 mins later...Ron

DocCuller

Thanks for the advice guys. Season in KY ended Sunday so I'll have to put the advice to use next season.