what would you do?

HMwolfpup

When reading this, keep in mind this is my neighbor and 2 doors down and we both have to live here...

I got a call last night right after dark from my neighbor saying he shot a deer right before dark and can't find it. he was hunting behind the house, so I got my stuff together and went to help. When I found him, I was surprised that he couldn't show me where the deer had been standing when he shot. got a lot of "well I think he was here, or maybe there". When I looked to the ladder stand he was hunting from, I noticed there was almost no way he had any kind of clear shot and had to have shot through some thin undergrowth to shot the deer any where near where he was showing me. It was well after dark and I knew finding a blood trail would be hard if I didn't know where to start and sure enough, 25 minutes later, I hadn't found the first sign of blood or hair...but keep in mind, I wasn't sure where to start. Neighbor was already waivering, now saying "well, maybe i didn't hit it" I asked which way the deer was facing when he shot and surprise number 2 "he was facing me" :speechles when I expressed my shock, his story changed a little, now saying the deer was "looking" away from him. Now Neighbor is ready to go home and "drink a beer"....which I ain't sure, but think he may have been doing in his stand any way...I was just about to agree, when my light shined toward his foot and he was about to step in a big pool of blood. I showed it to him and now all of a sudden he's talking about the "good shot" he made. To my surprise, even though there was a good pool of blood there was almost no trail. within a 2 feet of the pool of blood I found myself on my hands and knees looking for ANY blood. I found specs here and drops there, so I followed on my hands and knees. I did this for 2 hours, all but 10 minutes or so on my hands and knees, following specs of blood. Every 15 minutes or so, neighbor would say "oh we lost it, let's go in". The first time he said this, I politely explained to him that he couldn't leave an animal in the woods like that and that he really shouldn't be shooting at animals that close to dark if he wasn't willing to put in the effort...oh by the way, neighbor has not once got his knees on the ground for this, just keeps walking in circles and a couple of times, walked over the blood specs I was trying to follow....the second time he said something about going in, I let him have it. I read him the riot act about how much of an irrespnsible hunter he is and that if he can call me out to look for a deer he shot, then he can have the common courtesy of looking for it too. The 3rd time he said something about going in, he said "I don't really want the deer any way". :speechles :banginghe this floored me. I asked "THEN WHY DID YOU SHOOT IT?" His response "because I was hunting". I told him that THAT was NOT hunting, that was SHOOTING and he could go to any shooting range with targets and get just as much satisfaction. Again, he said we should go in. I said I can't leave this animal out here like this...even though it wasn't much blood, we were still finding specs of blood here and there, and I had covered about 200 yards on my hands and knees...(and now that VIOXX is off the market, my knees aren't anything to be messed with)....any way to try to get to the end of this....after almost 2 hours, I found another pool of blood. I knew we had to be making progress...but again, the blood stopped and was back to specs and a few drops here and there, I had managed to crawl under and into a briar thicket and didn't know it. Once I realized it, I figured the deer had laid up in the briars to die and I had to be close, but the blood STOPPED :banginghe I spent 15 minutes in one spot eventually laying down to try to get any angle to find any spec of blood....I couldn't find any thing. My next thought was to call a tracking dog, so I asked neighbor "well, how big was it? Is it worth calling in a tracking dog?" His response "Heck, I aint even sure it was a buck" :speechles :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe . Neighbor had kept saying "he" when he was referring to the deer, so I assumed it was a buck, I haven't seen any big bucks around here, and knowing my neighbor is not real selective to begin with, I didn't figure it was a decent buck or he would have been more excited. Oh yeah, IT'S NOT DOE DAYS HERE.
If this had been at the club or public land or someone I didn't have to live next to, I would have called the game warden on the spot...I know I still should have called the game warden.

What would you have done? Could you report your neighbor that you live less than 150 yards from? Someone you talk to in the afternoons and drink the occassional beer with after work?

sorry for the long post, but I did lose a little sleep over this last night and didn't even consider hunting this morning because of it.

SADDADDY

lazy hunters

well, that's a tough one to call ::huh: , I may just let him slip on this one seeing how the deer wasn't located, heck it could of been a dog or a cow for all you know ::huh: , but I would of let him know that the next time not to bother asking for any help tracking any deer he shoots, and if you catch wind he's doing something he shouldn't you'll have to report him, and plus remind him it is not to safe to be hunting so close to other homes in the area,thank god that wasn't a kid playing in the woods :(

GeauxLSU

You are a better man than I.

HMwolfpup said:
1)What would you have done?
2) Could you report your neighbor that you live less than 150 yards from?
3) Someone you talk to in the afternoons and drink the occassional beer with after work?
sorry for the long post, but I did lose a little sleep over this last night and didn't even consider hunting this morning because of it.
Well let me answer your questions in order
1) You undoubtedly handled that way better than me cuz after the second time he suggested we go in, I have a feeling it would have gone south REAL fast. :mad:
2) In a skinny minute. 150 yards, or 10 feet.
3) After that encounter, I'd be drinking with someone else. Sorry, but your 'neighbor' is a jerk. :mad:
YOU are obviously an extremely good neighbor to put forth that kind of effort. I'd have told the guy to go to bed if he wanted to and told him you'd keep the deer. Then I'd have called someone with dogs and if it was a buck, I'd have kept it. If it was a doe, I'd have GLADLY called DNR.
Not to mention, if that guy is shooting at 'something' at dark and he can't even tell you what, I don't want him with a firearm within 150 yards of my house! :eek:
That is the definition of a SLOB 'hunter'. :banginghe
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Really nothing you can do except make sure he understands your standpoint and keep showing a good role model.

After that I would ignore the daylights out of him and hope no one else finds out he is a "hunter"

Jim

Walkie Takie

sorry hunters

be happy that you don't hunt in a club w/ this sorry sorry ( so called hunter ) some of us do and have hunted w/ this type of hunter before , //////// some people just don't care if it's a doe at all , ( we have so many ) they don't look for the animal or not long enough
to find it , ( sorry sorry hunter ) I would love to hear him telling the story at work or somewhere else , ( about how much time he looked ,and how far he tracked it )
and how bad he felt about not finding the animal , I even bet you , it's the first
one he's every lost or missed //////// w/t

phoneman

2 options

Wolf,

It's up to you, I think you have two options:

either write the guy off and kick him off the buddy list

or try to rehabilitate him into a sportsman.

From you have relayed, he needs a lot of work. I've been in that same kind of situation myself, it isn't easy.

HMwolfpup

SADDADDY said:
remind him it is not to safe to be hunting so close to other homes in the area,thank god that wasn't a kid playing in the woods :(

fortunately there is only a few houses all in a line on the same side of this property and I've only seen him and myself back there. It's about 100 acres that's more or less a bowl and land locked, so hunting back there is relatively safe...not to say he shouldn't be more careful than he obviously was...just because we don't know of any one else being back there doesn't mean they aren't there.

Dawn2Dusk said:
It might be worth having a little one on one talk with the game warden just to let him in on the whole ordeal...

I thought about that too. I met our game warden at the GONetwork banquet, and he was a real personable fellow, I may end up talking to him yet.

phoneman said:
either write the guy off and kick him off the buddy list

or try to rehabilitate him into a sportsman.

I would like to think I could help rehabilitate him to a real sportsman, but not sure I can do more than set an example and let him know that until he decides to play by the rules, not to expect my help.

Thanks for all your replies, good to know (like i didn't already) that there are reputable sportsman out there that wrestle with the same ethical delimas I do. Thanks again. Now I'm going to go load up the trailer and head to deer camp where I know there are real sportsmen (and women) too and if I help someone track a deer it will be a legal one. :yeah:

JerryC

If he wasn't sure if it was a buck or doe, then wasn't sure if he hit it or not, then not sure if it was facing him or not, needless to say he had no business pulling the trigger. But it also makes me wonder how sure he is that it was even a deer.
I'm glad you spent the time you did looking for the deer. Maybe he'll learn by looking. -JerryC