Laws for practicing in your back yard

krachall

I doubt it's restricted but I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for finding the laws on shooting a bow in your backyard. I have a very safe, very controlled place to shoot in my yard but I am in a subdivision and in Gwinnett County so I want to make sure I'm not violating any laws.

I can check my convenants for subdivision rules but haven't found the GA or Gwinnett laws.

Luke0927

You'd need to check your county ordinances...but if your shooting in a safe direction with a proper backstop I doubt you'll have any trouble.

wack em

A cop stopped my my apartment in Milledgeville last year and told my buddies they couldn't shoot there bows there anymore. There are no laws against it in milledgeville he just wanted to show some authority. We havent shot anymore because this was at the end of the season but I plan to start shooting again soon.

jbeck23

If it's restricted, it might be at the municipal level. Here in Atlanta, you can't (legally) shoot almost any weapon (including primitive) in your backyard, according to city code. I want to say that DeKalb and Fulton County have the same ordinance. That's city life for you...

Municode's Web site is a great resource for these kinds of things:

http://www.municode.com/library/ClientListing.aspx?stateID=10

A quick search of the term "bow" in Gwinnett County's code book only turned up a prohibition for shooting in designated park areas -- but you'd probably want to scrub a little harder to be sure.

alligood729

Most all cities have some sort of ordinance against shooting weapons of any type inside the city limits, including bows because they "launch a projectile". Including where I live. That being said however, a little common sense setting up your range goes a long way.....some are willing to look past it if the setup is proven safe, and especially if it's out of sight of prying, or a lot of times, uninformed neighbors. If your setup is safe, and you're worried about neighbors, talk to them and show them your range. A little communication goes a long way......
I shoot in my front yard.......:cool: sometimes the neighbors stop to watch, every once in a great while, one of my cop buddies will cruise by to watch. They just know what a great bow shot I am.....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: