concrete work

coggins

I'm wanting to pour a pad to put kennels on and i'm pretty good with wood/construction type work. What I can't figure out is how do you "square" it(the form)? I want to make sure it is straight and true. Thanks for any help.

shea900

Measure diagonally from corner to corner, then from the other corner to corner. When both measurments are the same, the form will be square.

Wycliff

On one side of a corner measure 3' from the corner make a mark. On the opposite side of the corner measure 4' and make a mark. Next measure between them if the distance is 5' then you are square.

On one side of a corner measure 3' from the corner make a mark. On the opposite side of the corner measure 4' and make a mark. Next measure between them if the distance is 5' then you are square.

If the pad is big enough then you can measure
6' by 8' by 10'
9' by 12' by 15'
12' by 16' by 20'.
The longer distance you go the more accurate you will be.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Use a carpenters square?

magoo

Both of the above methods work great. Use the corner to corner measurement last to make sure. Carpenters square is a good start but not reliable enough.Just my opinion.

HALOJmpr

The 3,4 5 rule is very accurate if you are accurate. And then double check corner to corner. The carpenter square is a good starting point but you'll see it's not a given. Only other option is to have someone come shoot the layout with a transit but that can be expensive and not a lot of accuracy difference if you take a bit of care. Good Luck!

If I were closer I'd come help you one day for free ... sorry :(

Sam H

Measure diagonally from corner to corner, then from the other corner to corner. When both measurments are the same, the form will be square.

DITTO ABOVE !!!!This is the simplest way to go to get it square....To make sure it is level, you can use a "line level"(Lowes/Home depot/hardware store-cheap)...BUT...Try and pull your lines as tight as possible to lessen sag in your line...also..drive a stake in the ground in the center where your lines cross,the top of you stake and forms, should be the same heigth as your line(string)Then pour your concrete to the top of your forms and stake........you should be able to use this method on a slab 10 x 10....
Good Luck;):cheers:

Last edited:

HALOJmpr

If you want to level your corners it's cheap and easy to make a water level too. If you don't know how just google it but it's basically just a clear hose and water .... it always seeks its own level so if you have the water in a hose at the height of one corner all you have to do is hold the hose basically to the other corner and you will see where the level is on that side too. Both sides will be the same ... best part of a water level unlike lasers etc is that they can work around objects and corners ... simple and very efficient.

Roger T

If the pad is big enough then you can measure
6' by 8' by 10'
9' by 12' by 15'
12' by 16' by 20'.
The longer distance you go the more accurate you will be.

x2, i built a 22' x 22' deck using this method & its only a 1/4" out of square.im no carpenter but i think thats pretty good.

Offroad

Worked for me and i am no carpenter.

T.P.

Banned
Remember on corner to corner measurements, left and right lenghts have to be exactly the same and front and back lengths have to be exactly the same for this to work.

Latest posts