After you hook a big trout

FordHunter

How do you keep from the hook pulling out? When i use nymphs and hook into some big fish the fly seems to pull out of the mouth when i get it within 5 to 8 feet of myself.... How can i keep this from happening?

WinMag.300

keep tension...

but not to much tension. If that makes sense. It is really a learned instinct of when too much is too much. Its nice to have a long net as well, but you are correct that trout have a fleshy mouth and it is not uncommon for the small nymph hooks to come out. Learning to play a fish very well is extremely important, and sadly the only way to learn is to lose some fish. A great paractive arena though would be catch carp on the fly. Their mouth is very similar, and you can still have fun, and not be as depressed when you lose a carp over a trout.

centerpin fan

A rod with a soft tip will help.

I don't fish much for trout (I prefer carp :D ), but I do take a few trips per year. This past January, I went on a guided trip in Colorado, and the guide said he preferred an 8'6" over the standard 9-footer. He said the shorter rods generally have softer tips.

He had me using an 8'6" Sage Flight that day, and it definitely worked. I landed a 20-plus" brown on a #20 midge and 7X tippet. :D

keep your rod under your chin as well. think of the strike zone box, and keep your hands in that box. when you lift your hands above your head, the fish has all the control of the rod & the fly.

I've seen (and done) this a thousand times, and wondered 'how did that dam fish get off?' that's why.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Often it is in the hook set itself... try pulling the rod to the side rather than lifting straight up as is the tendency because of the casting motion. A fly wedged in the side of the jaw will always hold better than one stuck in the top of the mouth. When using barbless hooks on smaller fish... the point can penetrate deep enough to kill the fish. If you see blood in the roof of the trouts mouth.. you might as well eat it, for the chance of survival greatly decreases.

takamineman

X2 on tension but not too much. Too much will most definately break it off, but any slack at all can easily result in a thrown hook. Just practice practice practice!

Tightliner

..... feel the rod and let the rods action do your work. Most folks dont loose large fish when on the drag, they tend to come off during the actual landing. Keeping your tip high give you much more opportunity to let the rod do its work. A high tip also gives you the ability to change direction and pressure if needed.

Later......................................

thegaduck

What I have learned is

in addition to what previous responders have said, is to try to have a smoothe retrieve on my reel. I sometimes turn so fast that the end of the rod responds by moving back and forth, loosining the hook in the set. Easy to say, hard to do for me. When I have a big one on, I get excited and reel too fast. Slowing down my retrieve has helped. Just my hmo.