OFFICIAL WORK OUT THREAD

sprewett

Been staying steady at it on the side. I had to change my time from afternoon to between 4:30-5 am because too much to do in afternoons especially with fishing season upon us.
Have been doing HIIT training lately.

BeerThirty

Maybe this could help but either way it is good general info for this thread.

I had something similar many years ago before I started working out. I didn’t have the shooting pain down my arm though. Just terrible pain low between my shoulder blades. I lived with it for a bit then saw a Dr. said it was a strain and here is some drugs.

Lived with it for a bit more and decided to go the chiropractor. He immediately identified it as inflammation in the rhomboids due to muscle imbalance. In this instance, the pectorals and anterior deltoids were overpowering the ability of the rhomboids to retract the scapulas causing significant strain. After a deep tissue massage and instructions to stretch the pecs and anterior deltoid, the pain went away quickly. An exercise called bat wings will strengthen the rhomboids as well.

Maybe try the chiropractor. I was skeptical of them at first but they have now become one of my most trusted medical providers along with my dentist and veterinarian.

Nearly all upper body weight lifting movements should be done with retracted scapulas. You should do two back (pull) exercises (rows, pull ups, reverse flys, etc) for every chest/shoulder (press) exercise (bench press, shoulder press, front shoulder raise, incline press, etc).

This rhomboid problem and because of some weight gain associated problems I began seriously working out. Getting stronger, correcting imbalances, preventing injury, lowering my blood pressure, and living a physically easier life were my goals and it has worked.
To be honest, I think you're onto something. I'm not doctor, but prior to going in I did my research and, based on where the pain was coming from, I self-diagnosed my rhomboids. The doctor semi-agreed, but was hesitant to mention a specific muscle, as she just wanted to generalize as my "thoraic muscle group".

And I'm pretty sure I got this injury when I was doing a military press. And you could be right about the imbalance, as I really don't work my back muscles. I do bench, incline and military press. Rows are about the only thing that come close that I do.

It's funny you mention chiropractor, as it's a running joke between my wife and I. She is a big advocate of them, and I am not. She has been almost begging me to go see one for this, and i'm about to do it because this pain is aggravating.

My lifestyle has drastically improved, I've lost about 55 lbs prior to this injury, so I'm on the right path. The doctor did mention to me however, that my posture could be part of the problem, as I hunch over a computer all day.

Thanks for the tip!

hopper

To be honest, I think you're onto something. I'm not doctor, but prior to going in I did my research and, based on where the pain was coming from, I self-diagnosed my rhomboids. The doctor semi-agreed, but was hesitant to mention a specific muscle, as she just wanted to generalize as my "thoraic muscle group".

And I'm pretty sure I got this injury when I was doing a military press. And you could be right about the imbalance, as I really don't work my back muscles. I do bench, incline and military press. Rows are about the only thing that come close that I do.

It's funny you mention chiropractor, as it's a running joke between my wife and I. She is a big advocate of them, and I am not. She has been almost begging me to go see one for this, and i'm about to do it because this pain is aggravating.

My lifestyle has drastically improved, I've lost about 55 lbs prior to this injury, so I'm on the right path. The doctor did mention to me however, that my posture could be part of the problem, as I hunch over a computer all day.

Thanks for the tip!
Do to my occupation my backs always been outta whack. I was told to hit a chiropractor since I was 30 from various people. Always thought it was kinda scammy. Finally broke down a couple yr ago and couldn't believe the difference it made. Did once a week for 2 or 3 months with a good sports medicine chiropractor.
That muscle imbalance is real. I've been learning alot from my daughters Physical Therapist since she had ACL surgery. I think that's why I like doing these weight/hiit programs. It just helps me get an all around workout without having to think much about it.

oldfella1962

I've been out of commission for 3 weeks now due to doctors orders. Tweaked something really bad in my upper back between my shoulder blades and I've recently developed shooting pains in my right arm with tingling in my fingers. Went to orthopedic. Disappointing experience. I didn't have the tingling in my fingers when I went in, just developed last week. They x-rayed my neck, not low enough where the pain is. Doctor thinks I have a bad strain, gave me some muscle relaxers and NSAIDS and prescribed PT. I Think I pinched a nerve, so might go back in an insist on another look at my spine but lower down where the pain is. Was making really good progress, so this this has deflated me a bit. Been trying to stay active though, riding my bike in 14-speed so it's been a great leg workout and cardio, and walking as well, all on my lunch break. Figure I'm burning close to 400 calories.
"They x-rayed my neck, not low enough where the pain is." :mad: Lord forbid the medical techs/doctors get any input from or consult with THE PATIENT prior to getting the data they need for a proper diagnosis.

oldfella1962

Hate to here it. I was out for over a week from a serious shoe tying injury a few month ago:huh:
Never know when it's going to go, but it's always doing some remedial task.
On a related note, A few years back a very successful UFC fighter whose name escapes me tripped over cords or cabling where there were some TV media gathered and messed himself up for months with a very serious injury involving surgery and a long rehabilitation. facepalm: So here's a guy who literally gets beaten to a pulp for a living and shakes it off like it's no big deal, and he gets taken out of commission by a cord clearly visible to everyone except him I guess.