Investing | Stocks & Funds

Tight Lines

Not sure where to put this, and didn't call it the "official" thread but since we have a workout thread thought some of you might like sharing stock and mutual fund ideas and tips. I am typically a buy and hold and don't get into options much, but I would like to learn.

Right now I am long:

@NVDA, @QQQ, @PANW, @TSLA

And several index funds. Was in and out of @RIVN but I think it will trend upward if the news continues to be positive. @COST was a beast during C19 but seems to have petered out.

What are you invested / investing in right now?

Tight Lines

I'm young still at 38 so I just put 100% of my invested money into an S&P index fund. I don't get into the daily buying/selling but I'd like to so I will pay attention to this thread.

One thing I need to research is buying my company's stock at a discount. I'm allowed to purchase at a 15% discount every quarter when our quarterly earnings are reported. You have to lock in your buy in advance of earnings for obvious insider-trading purposes. Does anyone else do something like this?
A lot of people made a killing @KO (Coca-Cola) with the quarterly buys at 15% discount. If the stock is stable or even marginally growing, it's a great way to build wealth. If the stock is going down, it's a great way to lose it all e.g. Enron and MCI Worldcom. So it depends on the company of course. But it is a great way to be in the money as soon as you buy the stock, and over time sell some and diversify it. My old mentor and boss @KO made about $10MM over 25 years doing that and trading options.

What's the company?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
A lot of people made a killing @KO (Coca-Cola) with the quarterly buys at 15% discount. If the stock is stable or even marginally growing, it's a great way to build wealth. If the stock is going down, it's a great way to lose it all e.g. Enron and MCI Worldcom. So it depends on the company of course. But it is a great way to be in the money as soon as you buy the stock, and over time sell some and diversify it. My old mentor and boss @KO made about $10MM over 25 years doing that and trading options.

What's the company?
This ^^^^

Tight Lines

My best play in a while has been @NVDA. Up over 88% on that one...and I think with AI and it's continued support from the technology manufacturers it has a long way to run.

Another one I was in and should have held is @AAPL. That's a buy and hold.

I have my son in @TSLA, @NVDA, @XOM, @VOO, @GOOGL, @FTEC, and @AMZN. He is 15, so he doesn't have much but he is putting $50 per month into @VOO from his allowance. He's down overall right now but is investing every month. He is paying attention and researching his stocks and talking with me about it. My parents didn't invest, so I had to learn it all on my own...but he is learning early so I hope it helps him...

specialk

Does not much matter where you put your money this day and time, our present political admin is going to end up with most of it any way.....
just saying
it's good to be the king.....

sinclair1

I am heavy on Rivian and Riot. Bought riot at the bottom so it takes the sting out of Rivians holding pattern. Went in Tesla at 159 a share a few months ago and it was 258 at last check yesterday.

I don’t look on Wednesdays. I don’t look at my retirement portfolio much, but like to run the fliers. Heck I threw a good bit at Wondf when it went to 13 cents :cheers:

Last edited:

basstrkr

I'm young still at 38 so I just put 100% of my invested money into an S&P index fund. I don't get into the daily buying/selling but I'd like to so I will pay attention to this thread.

One thing I need to research is buying my company's stock at a discount. I'm allowed to purchase at a 15% discount every quarter when our quarterly earnings are reported. You have to lock in your buy in advance of earnings for obvious insider-trading purposes. Does anyone else do something like this?
38 is young, S&P is a good choice, that's about what I did for 30 years and it payed off pretty good . However I should have take a little at that age and put it in a higher risk technology index fund.

sinclair1

Does not much matter where you put your money this day and time, our present political admin is going to end up with most of it any way.....
just saying
I disagree. It’s an easy game, you save up some investment capital and then wait on the wave and jump on.

The political spectrum is manufactured by the Uber wealthy and they make sure there is a low/high cycle.

You crash it, buy it and sell it. Been going on for decades. The cycle is easy to pinpoint as you will have a clown in the white house when it’s time to buy.

Tight Lines

I am heavy on Rivian and Riot. Bought riot at the bottom so it takes the sting out of Rivians holding pattern. Went in Tesla at 159 a share a few months ago and it was 258 at last check yesterday.

I don’t look on Wednesdays. I don’t look at my retirement portfolio much, but like to run the fliers. Heck I threw a good bit at Wondf when it went to 13 cents :cheers:
I think RIVN is going to take off...have no knowledge of RIOT

Tight Lines

I'm also in @ASML which is a strategic chip equipment manufacturer...should have significant demand in the coming years...their lithographic machines are the primary for people like Taiwan Semiconductor who supplies @NVDA

Gaswamp

qualcomm amazon and ups are a couple im in

twtabb

When I had time to keep a close eye on stocks I would pick one or two that had decent movement up and down. Usually a company I new something about. Would buy near the low and sale near the high.
Amswa, Wendy’s, rite aid.
Bought a few I didn’t know much about and didn’t do so well on those.
Sold Facebook to early and should have held gas stocks when Biden went in office.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill

This is wise. A passive index fund saves a lot of money on fees over a lifetime and if your company is a leader in the industry, being able to buy at a discount is a huge advantage. Wish I had that advantage myself!