About to "pull the plug" medically speaking, but it's not that simple

oldfella1962

Update - I met with all the different specialties that work in the hospital that my wife was transferred to - dietician, physical therapy, etcetera. I finally met with an actual doctor and told him about my biggest concern - the fact that my wife was been unconscious for a month straight now. :( She was in a coma, now she is in a "vegetative state" which is a step-up from the coma but a step below a "minimally conscious state". She did develop bleeding on the brain while at the military hospital. Maybe that bleeding caused more brain damage than they thought. So the new hospital will take her to a different hospital (right down the street) to get an MRI. An MRI will be much more accurate in determining actual brain functioning - or lack of. So how can intestinal backup lead to other organs (including the brain) getting affected - then bleeding - then feeding back into her system? This picture explains what could be at play here. Lots of moving parts in this diagnosis.
She was also on five different antibiotics at the same time because her infections from her lungs getting fluid filled were from undetermined causes. The infections that caused her organ failures had the effect of sepsis according to one doctor.

Bottom line if the MRI determines any severe cerebral damage it's too late - the damage is done. :( If this is the case her chances of recovery are slim to none. The strange thing is recovery from a TBI "Traumatic Brain Injury" is much more likely than from a brain injury caused by bleeding, lack of oxygen or infection. Thus myself & my family are flying a "holding pattern" until she gets an MRI from the brain experts.

BRAIN DIAGRAM.jpg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I cannot imagine your pain and grief. I’m praying for you both. Lord ease their pain and make them well, watch over them and keep them, Amen.

oldfella1962

I cannot imagine your pain and grief. I’m praying for you both. Lord ease their pain and make them well, watch over them and keep them, Amen.
Thank you. Today my adult son went with me to check up on her in the hospital. In rare cases people in a vegetative state can be "jump started" by a familiar face or voice or whatever. But her reaction to him was just like it is for me - no response. :( He even used his phone to play some of her favorite music - still no response. As you can see from the picture in post #43 her cerebrum took major damage. So on Monday I'm going to her "case manager" and have her explain the process of removing the ventilator & feeding tube as per her "medical directive" wishes. The MRI isn't going to happen because it's too big a risk to transfer her to a different hospital for the procedure. But even without an MRI, there is enough corroborating evidence that her future brain functionality has no path to success. I'm quite sure the doctors at the specialty hospital will respect my decision. It's not a pleasant decision, but it's the humane & ethical decision.

Last edited:

jaydawg

Thank you. Today my adult son went with me to check up on her in the hospital. In rare cases people in a vegetative state can be "jump started" by a familiar face or voice or whatever. But her reaction to him was just like it is for me - no response. :( He even used his phone to play some of her favorite music - still no response. As you can see from the picture in post #43 her cerebrum took major damage. So on Monday I'm going to her "case manager" and have her explain the process of removing the ventilator & feeding tube as per her "medical directive" wishes. The MRI isn't going to happen because it's too big a risk to transfer her to a different hospital for the procedure. But even without an MRI, there is enough corroborating evidence that her future brain functionality has no path to success. I'm quite sure the doctors at the specialty hospital will respect my decision. It's not a pleasant decision, but it's the humane & ethical decision.
So sorry for your circumstances and the difficult decisions that you have to make

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
My thoughts and condolences to you and your family during this time of pain.

oldfella1962

So sorry for your circumstances and the difficult decisions that you have to make
Thank you. The most important thing to me is that my family is onboard with my decision. I've been keeping them "in the loop" at every step of this ordeal, and both my kids are realistic & levelheaded. They have handled everything very well and are keeping her impending death in perspective. Both are very familiar with death, but also very familiar with the harsh reality of people living a long time under a severely diminished "quality of life" situation. Medical science can keep people technically "alive" for much longer than at any time in history, but quantity does not always equal quality.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You are in an nearly impossible position. I will pray for you, her, and your family.

DannyW

@oldfella1962, just wanted to let you know that you were one of the first people that I thought of this morning. You have an unimaginable day ahead of you, and my thoughts are with you and your family today.

specialk

thoughts and prayers are with you sir, this is a terrible thing to go through...

oldfella1962

Update - my wife is doing much better! :) She is a little "foggy" but I don't notice any obvious brain damage. A lot of the information about how human brains respond to regaining full consciousness are based on "perfect world" typical & average cases, but it's not always a linear trajectory because every patient is different.

Plenty of work ahead of her because her muscles are atrophied, but there are exercises for the bedridden she can do under my close supervision. It's a good time to be retired, because my Humana/Tricare insurance doesn't cover "long term" nursing care in any way, shape or form. Ergo I will be learning as I go - and she won't have perfect "at home" care - but it is one-on-one care at least.

Thanks everyone for your concern! (y) I went to bed very early because I have been running around getting things related to her upcoming "at home" care but my pets woke me up, so I tended to them and now I'm heading back to bed.

Latest posts