Anyone every used a Garmin Rino 110 for hunting or camping?

ck40711

I am a deer hunter looking for a new 2 way radio. I hunt on a place thats maybe 3 miles long from the longest ends. I know there are better models out there but I don't want to spend $300 for a 2 way radio. I was however considering the Garmin Rino 110 just cause its a GPS and 2 way radio with moon phase and hunting calendar. Anyone ever used one or have any feedback? Thanks

seaweaver

IT IS GREAT!
I did have a water failur on my 110 and have since found some 120 on the cheep.
The peer top peer locating feature is great. We use them hogging in canals. we can see were each member of the party is on the screen.
My Pal Chad turned me on to them as they were using then in Iraq till the bad guys got smart.
The 110 will never get lost w/ that bright yellow case.
The location feature can get you to/ or lead a party right to you if you are down and this alone should be a reason for elderly hunters to have one. Key that mike and anyone w/ a Rhino can make a bee line to your side.... or track your dog w/ an Astro collar
The gps reception i always found to be outstanding under a thick canopy.
cw

tv_racin_fan

Now this is info I can use... I really like this site.

What sort of range do they have?

wmahunter

Banned
... or track your dog w/ an Astro collar
cw

Explain this part please. My 120 doesn't seem to pick up my DC30 collar. What do I need to do to get them to recognize each other?

I used 1 for years in Alaska Bear, Moose and Bird hunting and they work great we used them to keep track of hunting partners and to locate partners after they had taken an animal. We bought them to use for emergencys but got lucky and never had to use them that way. As long as your hunting partner is in range you can locate him if he keys his radio. I'm not sure how well they will work in the mountians because the radios are line of sight like any other radio, but as long as yall are within a few miles on the same side you should be able to locate them. Now that my son is old enough to start hunting alone I plann on getting him one so we can stay in touch and he can find me to drag my deer.

pnome

I have a RINO 120 that I love.

It's a great GPS, not so great radio. But it's good enough.

If you are thinking about the 110, I HIGHLY suggest you think about going at least one step up to the 120. The 120 will get you topo maps and a better computer interface.

wmahunter

Banned
As long as your hunting partner is in range you can locate him if he keys his radio.

I went on garmin's website several years ago and downloaded an update for mine that added a "poll" feature so that I can ask the other radio for its location without the other party having to do anything....seems that could be very helpful if the other hunter fell or got hurt and could not operate the radio on his own.