Wisdom Teeth UPDATE

stikslinger

Well, I am having two wisdom teeth pulled thursday. I am going to be given an IV to put me out. I could have opted for the shot though. How long does it take to get over having them pulled and should i just get the shot over the IV? really looking forward to it by the way, seriously they hurt :cry:

Last edited:

SneekEE

IV plus the shot in my opinion, and anything elese they will give ya. I hate going to the dentist.

meatseeker

It aint bad, or wasn't for me. I got the iv knockout. woke up done. thats the ticket. I was eating, well swallowing food and dipping snuff the same day. good luck!

Doyle

Mine were bad but then I had 3 problems. 2 of mine were impacted and they had to bust them out. I also have REALLY long roots so they created much bigger holes than normal. Finally, the dentist had to spread my jaws apart so much for the first two problems that it messed up my jaw hinge. The joint swelled up so much that I couldn't open my mouth more than about half an inch for almost a week.

My best friend however, had almost no problems at all - at least until he started eating the wrong foods too soon and got food down in the holes.

Sargent

I had the IV and the gas. The gas was fun. I wish I needed fewer teeth so I could get the gas again.

Darien1

I just had the shot in the jaw. The dentist yanked and pried it out. I took one pain pill took a nap and was feeling fine the next day. It took a while for the hole to close up and I got a dry hole a few months later that hurt real bad.

Wahoo Creek

I don't recall the IV but do remember the gas. Good stuff. As far as recovery, my doc gave me a sleeve that held a couple of ice packs. It ran from underneath my chin and velcroed over the top of my head, keeing the ice packs against my face. Worked great. Don't forget to take the pain pills even if you are not in pain. I did it during Spring Break one year and remember going back to school feeling ok. Maybe too late for you, but check the signs of the moon in the almanac. I believe it calls for dental work in the sign of the foot. Made a firm believer out of me when my grandfather told me when to have the teeth pulled, as I never particularly hurt after and had a quicker recovery than most of my friends. Good luck.

GONoob

I never got the gas or the IV just the numbing shots. One side was infected and had to drain the pus. I got a lot of shots(5 or 6 each side), I don't know if that's common. Every time I told him it hurts he gave me another shot.

Picking up the prescription meds was interesting. I couldn't talk, well if I tried saliva would spill out.

merc123

They gassed me because mine hadn't broke through yet and were impacted and sideways. Not sure about the IV. I don't remember much the day of after the gas except getting driven home and put into bed. I woke up with blood all over my pillow and drooling.

Day two I ate sesame chicken (couldn't feel it thanks to hydrocodone) but the seeds and food got impacted into the stitches and caused ungodly pain. Went back and the nurse gave me a plastic syringe to clean it out with salt water so it didn't happen again. Apparently they forgot to give it to me when I left the first time.

I didn't have any ice but I just sat in the barracks all day and slept or watched TV. I was out for about 3 or 4 days but went back to work after the 4th day. Since it was military duty I just walked to work because there was no way I could drive using the hydrocodone. I mostly got laughed at because I was so high and couldn't really function due to the meds.

golffreak

I don't remember anything about that day. They gave me the good stuff. All four of mine were inbedded(sp.) and had to be cut out.

jfinch

Had mine out in high school after I got my braces off. Orthodontist said if they ever came in it could mess up 3K worth of Orthodontist work. Oral Surgen freind of my dads took them out. I got the IV, nurse pushed something in it and said to count backwards from 100. 99, 98, 97,:biggrin2: Next thing I remember is being wheeled out in a wheel chair. Was home and asleep by 4 and slept till the next morning. Don't remember it being that bad or having a lot of pain.

rydert

Blue Heeler man
my head swelled up like a watermelon..said since i was older it would be worse....they were right...i woke up during the procedure with the dentist standing over me with sweat dripping off his forehead....not good at all!!!!

Jody Hawk

Had mine out in my early 20s. They took out four, all had to be cut out. They hooked me up to IV, wrapped a piece of cloth around my ankle, that's the last I remember. :D I was fine the next day !!!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Had mine out with just the shot in the jaw. He pulled, cut, pried, chiseled, and broke them out, said the roots on them were huge. I was sore for a day or two, but nothing really bad.

Gentleman4561

I don't remember anything about that day. They gave me the good stuff. All four of mine were inbedded(sp.) and had to be cut out.

same here i dont remember a thing. But the next day i just wore the jaw bra all day and it was tough to eat anything hard but by day 3 i was fine. Just clean them out well you dont want dry sockets.

My daughter had all four of hers out a couple of months ago. They did the IV thing, put in numbing shots, I left the room and they called me back 20 minutes later when they were done. She slept most of the day, took her pain pills on time, and did great!

Now when I had mine out many years ago, it involved a two night hospital stay. Went in the night before, had them out the next day in the operating room, came home the following day. Amazing how things change!

FishingAddict

I got lucky- my wisom teeth are 100% horizontal, and my head (and jaw) are big enough for them to just stay there. They have never seen the outside world

Bnathanb1982

Dry Socket

Whatever you do, follow the post op directions about what to eat and drink, and also not using a straw. I ended up getting a dry socket in my lower one and that is the worst pain in the world, except for a kidney stone(which I have had a lot of). It took me about 2 weeks to get over it. When I went back in and told them what was hurting, the doctor instantly knew what the problem was and they put some kind of paste over the socket and it was instant relief, for a while. I had to go back every few days and get it changed. Oh and I got the IV and they also gave me a valium when I went for my pre-op and told me to take it the day of surgery right before I come in. Well needless to say I was feeling good :D when I got there, and all I remember is waking up in recovery. That's some good sleep you get right there :D

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I got mine out ten years ago. All 4 were sideways and had to be broken before taken out, so they put me on the iv and knocked me out. I remeber when they started to drip they told me to count form 100 down. i am a natural rebel type and and remember trying to fight it and see how long i could stay awake, The last I remember was 97. like others have stated, Listen to the post op. food will get in the sockets and hurt like all get out.when you go back they will probably give you a syringe (not a needle) to flush it out daily, when they did mine there it was easily the nastiest taste I have ever had. Other than that i am glad i did it.

stikslinger

Thanks guys, I didnt know how long it would take for the IV to wear off. Gotta go in at 11 this morning. I am already starving. No food or drink after midnight:cry: