selling gun question.......

david w.

I checked the sticky,But i didn't see a strait answer i was looking for.I bought a rifle at a pawn shop,But now i want to sell it.I have a buyer that wants it.What i need to know is,What do i need to do to sell it to him so that i want get in trouble if he decided to do something stupid with it.Is it in my name?They ran a background check so i was just wondering if this gun is in my name?Thanks guys.:flag:

shdw633

I checked the sticky,But i didn't see a strait answer i was looking for.I bought a rifle at a pawn shop,But now i want to sell it.I have a buyer that wants it.What i need to know is,What do i need to do to sell it to him so that i want get in trouble if he decided to do something stupid with it.Is it in my name?They ran a background check so i was just wondering if this gun is in my name?Thanks guys.:flag:

As long as your buyer is in the state you reside in then sell it. If he is not a resident or you just want extra protection then you have to go to someone who holds an FFL license, such as the pawn shop owner you originally bought the gun from and sell it through them, they usually charge around $25 for this service.

dslary

I'd give him a bill of sale and insist he sign and date your copy then keep the copy forever.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Take payment for rifle and hand said rifle to purchaser.

polaris30144

A bill of sale isn't worth the paper it is written on. Anyone can make up a bill of sale that is phony. If you have a bad feeling, just go back to the store where you bought it and have a "REAL" bill of sale made out and a record that is legal that will stand up in court if the need ever presents itself. All the wannabe dealers that collect your personal information have no obligation to protect it. Think identity theft, dealers do have an obligation to protect your information. The bill of sale thing makes the unknowing feel all warm and fuzzy, but is totally a waste of paper if they are called into court. You as an individual can ask to see their license, but they are not required under any state or federal law to show it to you, let alone copy any information from it. This topic has been discussed to death and the paranoid, wannabe dealers are the ones that tell you to do this. No bill of sale required, no one has ever been convicted for previously owning a legal gun that subsequently has been resold and used in a crime. They have to prove you committed the crime, previous ownership is untraceable unless you bought the gun new. The police don't get a printout of every gun sold every time it changes hands. The only way to trace the gun is from the distributor to the dealer and the original retail purchaser. If a gun is used and changed hands a couple of times before you bought it, it can not be traced through normal records trace unless it was reported stolen.

Georgia Hard Hunter

A bill of sale isn't worth the paper it is written on. Anyone can make up a bill of sale that is phony. If you have a bad feeling, just go back to the store where you bought it and have a "REAL" bill of sale made out and a record that is legal that will stand up in court if the need ever presents itself. All the wannabe dealers that collect your personal information have no obligation to protect it. Think identity theft, dealers do have an obligation to protect your information. The bill of sale thing makes the unknowing feel all warm and fuzzy, but is totally a waste of paper if they are called into court. You as an individual can ask to see their license, but they are not required under any state or federal law to show it to you, let alone copy any information from it. This topic has been discussed to death and the paranoid, wannabe dealers are the ones that tell you to do this. No bill of sale required, no one has ever been convicted for previously owning a legal gun that subsequently has been resold and used in a crime. They have to prove you committed the crime, previous ownership is untraceable unless you bought the gun new. The police don't get a printout of every gun sold every time it changes hands. The only way to trace the gun is from the distributor to the dealer and the original retail purchaser. If a gun is used and changed hands a couple of times before you bought it, it can not be traced through normal records trace unless it was reported stolen.

Polaris is right, but that bill of sale don't cost you a thing I'd go ahead and get it. The guy doesn't have to show you an ID but you know what you don't have to sell him the gun if he don't. I wouldn't let you copy my DL# but it would be reasonable to copy name and address