Making sausage

mailman6

Killed my first wild hog today. I processed myself and need some recipes or secrets for making good sausage. In other wor ds what kind of seasons and peppers and how much?Any help of suggestions will be greatly appreciated>Thanks in advance.

cheezeball231

My butcher has packs of seasoning Mild and Hot the brand is Leggs Old Plantation. I prefer the mild. One pack does 25lbs. while your there as if they have any pork fat and add that in

garnede

What kind of sausage do you want to make? I have a recipe book for sausage that is excellent, but there are 60 typed listed. So far I have made breakfast, Bratwurst, and smoked. All turned out great. Let me know what kind of sausage you want to make and I wil give you the recipe.

garnede

I will give the recipe as it is in the book, but I substituted venison for veal and pork trimmings for pork butt.

Breakfast Sausage:
3 lbs pork butt
3/4-1 lb. fat back
4 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp dried sage
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp cayenne
1/2 cup water
medium sausage casings (optional)

Put the meat and fat through a 1/4" grinder plate and then mix with other ingredients except casings. Once everything is well mixed either wrap in bulk for sausage patties or stuff in medium casings for sausage links. Keeps 3 days in the fridge and 2 months in the freezer.

Andouille
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp cayenne
3 tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp mace
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp curing salts (optional)
5 lbs pork butt, fat and lean separate, cut into 2 inch chunks
1/2 cup cold water
wide hog casings

Mix spices into a small bowl. Separate meat and fat into 2 bowls. Rub each thoroughly with spice mixture. cover and refrigerate over night. grind fat with 1/4" plate. grind the meat using a 3/8" plate. Mix the meat and fat together in a large bowl and add the cold water. knead until the water is absorbed and the spices are well blended. stuff the mixture into wide hog casings. If you are hot smoking dry the sausage in a cool place for 2 hours. smoke/cook in a covered barbecue. If you are cold smoking (preferred) dry the sausage in front of a fan in a cool place over night. Cold smoke for at least 12 hours. cold smoked sausage should be cooked before eating, hot smokes sausage is ready to eat. Makes 5 pounds. If you cold smoke the curing salts are required.

Flaustin1

Use the Leggs. Best around. I like to add 2 tablespoons of Rubbed Sage to the mixture. (i like sage in my sausage). I also add a small bottle of crushed red pepper to the mix. (I like it hot too.) Have the wife cook a batch of Catheads and try your sausage as you go, then adjust the seasonings to your likings.

Totaloutdoorsman

My butcher has packs of seasoning Mild and Hot the brand is Leggs Old Plantation. I prefer the mild. One pack does 25lbs. while your there as if they have any pork fat and add that in

X2!!!! By far the best seasoning for sausage. It works great for deer sausage too. You can find it at some country grocery stores. The Harveys in Statesboro has a whole rack devoted to the stuff.

NorthGaHunter

X2!!!! By far the best seasoning for sausage. It works great for deer sausage too. You can find it at some country grocery stores. The Harveys in Statesboro has a whole rack devoted to the stuff.

Leggs is the best i've used. A good book on sausage making is by rytek kutas. Google him. For breakfast sausage you can't go wrong with legs.

crackerdave

There used to be quite a few little mom and pop stores that sold good home made sausage and sold the ingredients/recipes to make your own. I guess the "Patel Cartel" has bought up all those stores.

garnede

I prefer to make my spice mixture from scratch, then I know what is in it and can modify it if I want to change the taste.

luke6/22

Shoot me a pm if you want i can make it for you if you would give me a little or if you want to try leggs it is the best and i have plenty of all flavors sitting in my kitchen let me know I retired from Processing 2 years ago but still have all my equipment. Dusted it off recently and did some bear summer sausage for 2shot on here and he really liked it

Migraman

I tried this one and liked it - South African farmers sausage (boerwors) - There will likely be 25 SouthAfrican expats on here telling me I'm doing it wrong but I got it from a friend and it makes a good sausage:

The real recipie calls for beef - wild hog would do just dandy..

3.5 pounds lean pork
1.5 pounds bacon (naturally smoked - go on, spend the money)
1 tablespoon corriander
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

That's it - really good on the grill. I added a tablespoon of crushed red pepper to my last batch and it was a winner.