What is "Saved"?

Another word I keep hearing thrown around in the church-world is "Saved" and "Salvation". What exactly does it mean for one to "Be Saved" or "Have Salvation"?

Double Barrel BB

It means that Jesus is your Lord and Master. You have been born again in spirit by Jesus. Thus you have been saved from eternal torment in the lake of fire.

DB BB

ilikembig

Saved according to dictionary.com means...
adj 1: rescued; especially from the power and consequences of sin; "a saved soul" [ant: lost] 2: guarded from injury or destruction

Saved in the Biblical sense: (IMO)
To believe that Jesus Christ died for our past, present, and future sins. We can go directly to the Lord/God as a believer and ask for forgiveness for any wrongs we have done and know they will be cast away.

Double Barrel BB said:
It means that Jesus is your Lord and Master. You have been born again in spirit by Jesus. Thus you have been saved from eternal torment in the lake of fire.

DB BB
So, I have to be born again before I am saved? I actually have that as another question on another thread...) It seems that, then, salvation is some sort of "sequential" process? i.e., first you must do this, then that etc...??? If I am going to burn in an eternal lake of fire it is certainly something I'd like to pursue. When I find out what I have to do to be "Born Again" perhaps I'll be closer to achieving this salvation.

ilikembig said:
Saved according to dictionary.com means...
adj 1: rescued; especially from the power and consequences of sin; "a saved soul" [ant: lost] 2: guarded from injury or destruction

Saved in the Biblical sense: (IMO)
To believe that Jesus Christ died for our past, present, and future sins. We can go directly to the Lord/God as a believer and ask for forgiveness for any wrongs we have done and know they will be cast away.
So, it is seeming that "salvation" is sort of the pinnacle of the Christian pursuit. I like the simplicity of being able to think I can go directly to him. It seems a lot of the churches and Christians I've encountered wanted me to jump through a bunch of hoops first. Thank you. I'm feeling more hopeful now...

ilikembig

billyjames said:
So, I have to be born again before I am saved? I actually have that as another question on another thread...) It seems that, then, salvation is some sort of "sequential" process? i.e., first you must do this, then that etc...??? If I am going to burn in an eternal lake of fire it is certainly something I'd like to pursue. When I find out what I have to do to be "Born Again" perhaps I'll be closer to achieving this salvation.

I would have to see it this way BJ
You are saved by the grace of God, You accept Him coming into your life. Once you are saved some like to outwardly express this to others by baptism. Some churches feel this is the way, others do not. As an individual you have to listen to your heart.

MudDucker

Staff member
billyjames said:

Born again is what you are when you are saved. Salvation is a gift. All you must do is believe:

1. Jesus was the son of God.

2. He came to die for the sins of the world, including your sins.

3. He lived a sinless life.

4. He died upon the cross as the perfect sacrificial lamb for the cleansing of your sins.

5. Three days later he arose from the dead, walked again on this earth and then ascended back to Heaven.

6. That you are a sinner and wish to confess and ask forgiveness.

If you believe this and pray to the Lord Jesus to show acceptance of him, you will have salvation and you will be born again as one of his flock. If you seek him in prayer, he will send the Holy Spirit to you to help you continue to grow in your spirtual connection with him. As a man, you will not be perfect, instead you will seek to change your ways to become more like Christ Jesus.

I hope this helps and I hope you find the way!

Last edited:

FESTUSHAGGIN

there are two births and two deaths that people may take part in. you have a natural birth when your body comes into this earth, at which time the lord gives you a soul. at the point in your life that you come under conviction(become lost) you die spiritually speaking. this is the first death. i promise you will know when this happens. noone will have to tell you. and you will not be lost until the lord deals with you. you cannot be saved unless this happens. and there is a space and time for every man to go through this. when you are lost the bible says to go to the lord with fear and trembling. noone can do anything for you except pray. it is a personal thing between you and the lord. salvation comes from utmnost belief and faith in the lord. no works or good deeds will do anything for you. it dont mater what you may have done in your life the lord can and will save you. if you are saved that is the second birth, which provides everlasting life, and you have been spared the second death. when your natural body dies you will rest until the lord calls us home. i believe noone will get there before anybosy else. the bible say the first shall be last and the last shall be first. noone will have to tell you that you are saved or lost. i promise you will be able to tell on your own. and if anybody ever tries to tell you that you are saved, or if they ask you to say a prayer and you will be saved. run the other way. no man can do anything for you other than pray. and no man can save you. only god.

Dana Young

Billy james
the first thing that has to happen is you have to be drawn by the spirit and realize you are lost. I believe you are being drawn and realize you are lost.
next you have to hear the word being preached because God said that through the foolishness of preaching men are saved. You have heard that.
next you have to personally believe that Jesus died for your sins. I think you believe that.
Lastly you have to come to him with a contrite heart and confess your sins and repent and ask him to come into your heart. Acontrite heart means a broken heart because you are sorry for your sins and repentence means turning away your sins. If you do these things then you should feel the spirit of the lord give that forgiveness by the peace that will come into your heart.
I and alot of other people will pray with you and for you that you might recieve christ.
Please let us know when you recieve Christ that we might rejoice with you.
May God bless
Dana

MudDucker

Staff member
billyjames said:
So, it is seeming that "salvation" is sort of the pinnacle of the Christian pursuit. I like the simplicity of being able to think I can go directly to him. It seems a lot of the churches and Christians I've encountered wanted me to jump through a bunch of hoops first. Thank you. I'm feeling more hopeful now...

No hoops to jump, no red tape. Its a personal matter between you and the Lord Jesus. Most of us have found that a good church of bible believing Christians is a great help along the way to becoming the best Christian we can be to honor the sacrifice he made for us, but that is not required for salvation. ::;

Thanks you all. These are some very heart-felt and honest replies that are surely helping any lost persons reading these threads... I'm beginning to feel that cowbell festushagen... :)

matthewsman

Billy James???

billyjames said:
Thanks you all. These are some very heart-felt and honest replies that are surely helping any lost persons reading these threads... I'm beginning to feel that cowbell festushagen... :)

I'm a Johnny come lately to your posts today.......Are you asking your questions because of a personal quest,or is this an attempt to create a Salvation"primer" from the varied minds and religious backgrounds of Woodyites?

I don't want to question your sincerity,so forgive me if I am wrong(this may lead to a what is forgiveness thread)

But it seems to me as a 46 yr.old man with the various churches you have visited,you have things you have taken issue with,and you are pointing those out as they crop up in our forums.For example,dress codes.....

Honestly,before you continue further with some on this forum,clarify your intentions.

Are you seeking salvation?

Are you seeking to create an online dictionary of spiritual terms for other non-believers?

Or are you like a person that stops to ask for directions,then argues how to get there with the direction giver?

What gives?:pop:

billyjames said:
Thanks you all. These are some very heart-felt and honest replies that are surely helping any lost persons reading these threads...
mathewsman , I think that pretty much sums it up.

shaggybill

Dana Young said:
next you have to hear the word being preached because God said that through the foolishness of preaching men are saved.

I'm curious (honestly) as to why you believe that hearing some preaching is a pre-requisite to being saved. I have never heard this before.

SBG

shaggybill said:
I'm curious (honestly) as to why you believe that hearing some preaching is a pre-requisite to being saved. I have never heard this before.

When you take in consideration the meaning of the word preaching, it becomes clear.

Preaching simply means to be a herald of the gospel. Unfortunately, over the years since the scriptures were translated into the english language, there have been some words that were not correctly interpreted by those reading them. Preaching just happens to be one of them. These incorrect interpretations have caused some unfortunate confusion over the years. This confusion has morphed into the misconception that the words Bishop/pastor and preacher are synonymous: they are not.
Any Bishop/pastor can and should preach; but, not just anyone can be a Bishop/pastor.

The idea that salvation can only come from hearing the word preached in its traditional interpretation, i.e. a man standing and proclaiming the gospel in a sermon format at church, presents an obvious problem: it makes the great commission of no relevance to anyone other than those called to Bishop/pastor.

BANDERSNATCH

I agree with many of you here...that the church building has little, if anything, to do with a person's salvation. It is a personal relationship with Christ, not rules or hoops.

Many christians out there get 'religious' about never missing church on a Sunday, or tithing, or movies... The Pharisees would have loved them. :)

I believe that someone is saved as long as they believe that Jesus was God's son and that God raised Him from the dead. When a person no longer believes that Jesus was raised from the dead (and it is possible for someone to believe and then reject Him) then they are no longer saved. Hebrews 6 (counting His blood as an unholy thing)

Here's a little jab at some of you once-saved-always-saved baptists... ::ke: FEW IF ANY BAPTISTS DIED IN THE ROMAN COLISEUM! :) (If they were eternally saved then they'd be a fool to face those lions if they didn't have to) LOL No offense brothers. :offtopic:

Bandy

SBG

BANDERSNATCH said:
(and it is possible for someone to believe and then reject Him) then they are no longer saved. Bandy

Bandy,

If one rejects Christ and becomes unsaved, can they later be re-saved?:)

BANDERSNATCH

SBG said:
Bandy,

If one rejects Christ and becomes unsaved, can they later be re-saved?:)

Not according to the Word. :) They wouldn't want to be 're-saved' anyway.

Bandy