Why Do You Use A Scope?

gregg

I see a lot of folks using scopes on their turkey guns and I just can't imagine how that is helpful, maybe I'm just an old dude, but it seems like it reduces field of view, depth perception, and hides brush/trees that might be in the path of your shot........so I wanted to ask those who use scopes, why do you use one, and do you find any negatives with them?

gobble157

I use a scope for the simple fact that when a turkey is coming in everything goes white and I can't make out the turkey with a bead or fiber optic sight. I just get absolutely tore up and the only way to surpass this issue is a scope. The two negatives to using a scope is objects between you and turkey are blurred, and it could strip the screws that are secured within the receiver. Both have happened to me recently. I had to send my Browning Gold off to be drilled and tapped because all holes were stripped. Then while in MS I shot a tree, which I didn't see when a turkey came in. It stunk but I would have missed many more times if I didn't have a scope on my gun.

Attachments

• MS20115.jpg
    MS20115.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 402

gregg

Dang, you put a big ol hole in that tree, must have been right in front of you......I read your Mississippi hunt story and it got me thinking about the use of scopes on turkey guns, thanks for explaining why you use one.

SGADawg

I will be trying a red-dot, non-magnifying scope this year. Old eyes just don't focus on open sights like they used to.

gobble157

Dang, you put a big ol hole in that tree, must have been right in front of you......I read your Mississippi hunt story and it got me thinking about the use of scopes on turkey guns, thanks for explaining why you use one.

LOL! Yeah, I would have eliminated the tree issue if things didn't happen so fast. He came in so fast I didn't have time to think about what to do next. And as we all know, somethings just don't go as planned in the turkey woods. If you go to a scope make sure its not a cheap one and can take the recoil of a shotgun. Also, know your surroundings and don't take out trees like me:rofl: Good luck bud!

emusmacker

I guess for the same reason that folks use scopes on deer rifles, to help them see target better.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
My Mossberg consistantly shot 4 inches left and about 6 high for many years. I put a red dot on it to cure that and LOVED the way it worked and felt. Also the days of worrying about being down on the stock, sighting in and missing are done. If the red dot is on it's head and he's in range.... it is over. Now my Sp 10 has one and my wifes 20ga has one as well.......... The only negative I can see is the battery wearing out and why I have 2 extras in my vest.

short stop

no ...
no red dots ...
no speed dots ..
no scopes ..

Ive hunted with plenty of folks who have killed many birds with such in front of me .. * BUT ----They also by that margin have fumbled up plenty of hunts over stupid stuff like dead batts - fogged scopes - turning knobs .. and generally messing around with their optics while a bird was moving in on a trot .. bust the movement and leaves or is missed plainly beacuse they shot down the side of the pipe due to optic failure .. Ive seen it happen every yr .

I ll contine to go the fiber bead route until I simply cannot see good enuf to do so ..

Hawken2222

I have a red scope on my gun, and it makes me cheek the stock and bear down. I absolutely love mine!

Turkeydoghunter

i shoot both with a bead for rainy days and a scope on nice days....ive shot two birds flying during the fall....and several running with the scope......also i feel i can thread the needle on shots through the brush

The Arrow Guru

I like a point of aim and point of impact to be the same. I can sight my turkey shotgun in like a rifle. I use a non-magnification red dot scope. I spend way to much money on chokes and shells to get the right combo. But in the woods if that bird is with in 60 yards and I can get that dot on his head he is a dead man. Love it. Now I have killed turkeys with a bead, and can do it, but i have become addicted to the dot.

moyehow

never hunted with one, but this year i won a gun with a scope on it. Gonna give it a try

I cannot stand beads or open sights. The only time I use them are on protection handguns and dove/rabbit shotguns. Even my .22 target pistol has a red dot scope. In regards to a turkey shotgun, I have a 1.5-4.5x32 Bushnell Trophy shotgun scope in a B-square saddle mount. I'm like BIGRNYRS. I like being able to sight my pattern in exactly where I want it, and I have complete confidence that a turkey's head in the circle means a dead bird.

gobblingghost

I have a Nikon turkey scope. When his head fills in the diamond HE IS IN RANGE. Also most guns POA and POI are different. With these super tight turkey chokes if one slips in close before you shoot you can easily miss or wound a gobbler

Timber1

BANNED
I hunt with a couple of guys that use the docter and leupold delta point. Those are the best sighting systems for turkey hunting I have come across yet. If I had an extra 1800 dollars I would get one.

decoyed

Banned
never have shot a shotgun with a scope and feel like it would be a strange thing to me. I like that there little bead on the end.

Nitro

Banned
I hunt with a couple of guys that use the docter and leupold delta point. Those are the best sighting systems for turkey hunting I have come across yet. If I had an extra 1800 dollars I would get one.

$1800???

The Leupold is $399 and the Docter a little more.

Burris Fast Fire is an excellent value and they are $200.00

Killdee

I hunted with just the bead all my life but if you dont get your face down on the stock, you can shoot over 1 easily as I have on 2-3 occasions over the years. My eyes are tired so Im trying a Mueller holograph this year, I think Im gona like it so far.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Using a scope allows a shooter to adjust the sight plane to the center of the pattern. On low settings the field of view is darn near as good as using your eyes. If I can see the front sight on my shotgun barrel through the scope then I have no excuse not to see a branch in the way. Some turkey scopes have a built in range finder. Lastly, precision shot placement.

Latest posts