What caliber handgun do you use for whitetail deer?

godogs57

45ACP 1911, 44 mag 629, Custom 10mm Delta Elite, 1907 Colt Single Action Army 45LC. The last pistol was my most fun kill naturally.

Darkhorse

I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum back in 1979 or '80. I still carry it today. It is iron sighted but I'm thinking seriously about a red dot.
I shoot 240 grain gold dots mostly, 240 XTP,s next. Only my handloads.
Some places I've hunted had a lot of hogs, I always carry it in those type places so it has been carried a lot. I'm not a handgun hunter but I've taken a few deer but mostly hogs. Nothing notable though. It has proven to be very deadly.
90% of the time I hunt with a flintlock and the 44 always rides along in a shoulder holster just in case.

35 Remington.

Attachments

• IMG_9412.jpeg
    IMG_9412.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 16

GeorgiaGlockMan

Have shot 2 deer with a 357 mag henry lever.

It kills them real dead. Both were bang flops.....not 1 step.

Last deer I shot with a 30.06 for comparison ran 40-50 yds.

GunnSmokeer

I owned a TC Contender, first generation, for about 20 years. I had three barrels for it and - 1.5X pistol scope.

The .30-30 Winchester barrel and .44 Rem. magnum barrels were the ones I might have used for deer hunting if I ever tried it with a handgun. But I never tried.

GunnSmokeer

5C1EFE51-4CDD-4D5C-BA0F-E3B5F3FD058D.jpeg
8EF85E12-A859-4D76-BD55-FCFCD0B46711.jpeg

These days I would probably go with
an 8 inch to 10 inch barreled stainless
steel revolver wearing a non-magnifying red dot scope.

Probably a double action revolver with a swing out cylinder --only because that's what I'm used to, having owned such guns all of my life. (I have very little experience with single action revolvers.)

These big bore revolvers in .45 Colt and .44 magnum are my friend's guns,

and we took them shooting together this past June. I really like the ability to do a quick follow up shot if one is needed,
compared to the slow reloading of my T/C Contender.

Flintrock

Went hunting with my 9mm Taurus G2C. Decided if I saw a large buck I would use my flintlock and would use the pistol on a doe. I shot the doe at 10 yards. She ran about 100 yards. I’m probably one and done .

Attachments

• IMG_5156.jpeg
    IMG_5156.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 13

tcward

Went hunting with my 9mm Taurus G2C. Decided if I saw a large buck I would use my flintlock and would use the pistol on a doe. I shot the doe at 10 yards. She ran about 100 yards. I’m probably one and done .
What load did you use?