What would you buy with $2,000?

Robert28

I’ve always heard the older Winchesters are excellent rifles, are the newer ones not as good?
Yes and no. Are the post-64 ones accurate? Absolutely. And you used to be able to pick them up for a song because no one wanted them. Same with the 30-30’s but that’s all changed because the cat is out of the bag now. They aren’t controlled fed like the current production and pre-64 but they’re still shooters.

menhadenman

Alrighty then......you, sir, are now hooked up with a ROCK SOLID rifle for the hunting you described and it will excel in the early & late light, too.

In stock. (y)

Brand new Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10 x 56mm beautiful glass with illuminated German #4 Reticle. :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

The rifle you wanted in .308 Win. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Very, very, very, very close to your budget.

GO...........

View attachment 1257625

View attachment 1257628
View attachment 1257627

Rifle is magical but please don’t say Schmidt and Bend Over :ROFLMAO:!

menhadenman

As fate would have it, I just loaded (15 minutes ago) 50 rounds for my Tikka T3X in 308… this is for a CTR that’ll be a backup gun for the six elk tags we got to try not to make into soup next week. But it’s a shooter and a 175 will crush a critter.

Braves getting base runners but keep leaving them stranded? Tied 4-4, let’s go!

E8DB7A35-258B-41CE-92A1-FF5B6121EA24.jpeg

Long Cut

Alrighty then......you, sir, are now hooked up with a ROCK SOLID rifle for the hunting you described and it will excel in the early & late light, too.

In stock. (y)

Brand new Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10 x 56mm beautiful glass with illuminated German #4 Reticle. :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

GO...........

View attachment 1257625

View attachment 1257628
View attachment 1257627

This^

You’d be hard pressed to beat this setup for the parameters you’d set fourth.

menhadenman

In stock. (y)

GO...........

View attachment 1257625

View attachment 1257628
View attachment 1257627

Think about this option (or one of the similar configurations). Then you have $$$ leftover for some rings.

Reactions: Dub

Long Cut

Me personally, I’m biased for break action rifles. CVA scout can be had for $300-450.
Mine has averaged 1MOA 5 shot groups at 100 with the best 5 shot groups scratching .7MOA
I personally prefer this rifle nowadays because it’s very affordable and I don’t mind if it gets beat up. Extremely easy to clean. Shoots very very well for a ~$315 rifle.

Now scope wise, I’d go either Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 w/ German reticle
OR
Night Force SHV F1 series with a bigger tube (50mm) or 56mm BUT it’ll come in 4-14, overkill for 200 yard “max” but you aren’t handicapped.

Honestly rifle wise, it’s user preference. Tikka, Benelli, Browning, Springfield Armory, Bergera, Savage, Sauer etc... will all have offerings that can/will fit your needs.
Scope wise, I’d stick with Schmidt & Bender or NightForce. SWFA is a good budget option, but with a $2k budget I’d push for the other 2.

Attachments

• F9C45EF8-6DB9-450F-A129-CD71490DAD89.jpeg
    F9C45EF8-6DB9-450F-A129-CD71490DAD89.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Dub

Dub

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I love a M70 if ya can get one with Control Round Feed - that might be the best choice.

If you want a tuff and rumble rifle that has a lifetime warranty and is practically indestructible - look at ruger.

About seven years ago i decided i wanted a .450bushmaster. During that search Ruger came out with the bushmaster in the GSR - it has the three position safety, claw extractor, detachable box mag, nice beefy military style iron sights. It is short but with a heavy tapered barrel that launches the 450 out to 200 with confidence. It comes with a houge style overmolded stockIMG_6734.jpeg
Later i found a 308 GSR in pawn and bought it. I love them both. I don’t really want to give advice on a scope because there are so many different reticles choices out there, and you want a scope that feels best for your eye (trial and error). I agree with those who say “don’t skimp on a scope”. The 450 has a vortex 1x8 and the 308 has a leupold 3x9 - both are firedot which i like for hunting. Both rifles are right about 2k

GunnSmokeer

200 yard maximum shot?

Remington 7600 pump action rifle - $900.

Some decent scope, 2x -7x or similar.
Say $400 for that.

Sling, extra magazine -- $100.

That's $ 1400 so far.

Then, $600 Worth of ammo-- nothing fancy! Ordinary grade Remington, Winchester, or Federal 150 grain SoftPoint. Maybe a foreign brand like PMC,
Sellier & Belloit,
or Monarch brand, if you find them significantly cheaper.

Anyhow, the reason I'm suggesting you buy $600 worth of fairly inexpensive factory made ammo is so that you can shoot 500 of them in the next few months practicing most of that should not be fired from a benchrest it should be shot under real world field rest conditions sitting standing all leaning on a tree firing from the railing of your tree stand etc..

Get that trigger time in. Practice & watch your groups shrink.

And also make sure that your aiming time is shrinking-- try to get so that you can put the gun up on your shoulder get the cross-hairs on the target and break your shot within a second or two.

menhadenman

200 yard maximum shot?

Remington 7600 pump action rifle - $900.

Some decent scope, 2x -7x or similar.
Say $400 for that.

Sling, extra magazine -- $100.

That's $ 1400 so far.

Then, $600 Worth of ammo-- nothing fancy! Ordinary grade Remington, Winchester, or Federal 150 grain SoftPoint. Maybe a foreign brand like PMC,
Sellier & Belloit,
or Monarch brand, if you find them significantly cheaper.

Anyhow, the reason I'm suggesting you buy $600 worth of fairly inexpensive factory made ammo is so that you can shoot 500 of them in the next few months practicing most of that should not be fired from a benchrest it should be shot under real world field rest conditions sitting standing all leaning on a tree firing from the railing of your tree stand etc..

Get that trigger time in. Practice & watch your groups shrink.

And also make sure that your aiming time is shrinking-- try to get so that you can put the gun up on your shoulder get the cross-hairs on the target and break your shot within a second or two.
The Ruger American or Savage Axis are good buys if you go that route and want a bolt.

Big7

The Oracle
Nope.

Far from backwards.

In fact....as accurate as some of the basic offerings are from some of the manufactures.....I could even comfortably say:

$650 rifle
$1,350 scope
Well...

As the market gets tighter and the technology gets better, a $650.00 scope goes a LONG ways on a $1350.00 rifle nowadays. The $1350.00 rifle will hold it's value. Scopes generally don't.

Truth be known, I run some rigs that cover these scenarios and some even more extreme each way.

One of my most accurate rifles is a
NEF/H&R Single Shot Heavy Taper .243 Winchester I gave $219.95 for New, 25- 30 years ago sporting the only Nikon scope I own. It's a plain 3X9X40 Duplex and I still got the box with the $189.00 sticker on it. It will shoot as far out until the crosshairs obscure the target. I took it to the range today but left the boolits in the van and it's to far to walk back to the parking area to get them. facepalm:

On the other hand, I got a few I don't let nobody touch but me- if you know what I mean. :bounce:

Lilly001

The last time I had that kind of money to spend I bought a browning xbolt hells canyon speed in 6.5 CM and a Leupold VX5 in Talley rings.
It totaled just over the 2k limit.
I am very happy with it.

sleepr71

Either a Tikka T3 variant,or Bergara B14.. in your preferred caliber. I prefer stainless,with fluted barrels,and composite stocks..but that’s just ME. Both are dynamite shooters,out
Of the box + have adjustable triggers(if you wanted it lighter). As far as optic..I’d go with at least a 3-12x Leupold vx-3 or 5 series,Burris HD 3-15,or Meopta in that range. For around $500-550…you can get a Burris HD 3-15x,which comes with lighted reticle,or Meopta with same quality
Glass+ features. Just comes down to reticle style you prefer. I have both brands of these scopes and the glass compares nicely to a VX-5 Leupold,but come with more features,at a lower price !! Don’t forget that you will need rings,lense covers,and..Ammo :)