What would you buy with $2,000?

madsam

BLR 308 with a vortex crossfire scope - 3-9x40.....be under 2k and a
nice set up to pass down ......

mizuno24jad

Yes and no. Are the post-64 ones accurate? Absolutely. And you used to be able to pick them up for a song because no one wanted them. Same with the 30-30’s but that’s all changed because the cat is out of the bag now. They aren’t controlled fed like the current production and pre-64 but they’re still shooters.
I actually just picked up a 1997 marlin 30-30 this past Monday in excellent shape

Reactions: Dub

jglenn

New remington 700 alpha with one of my old $300 Conquests on it

Long Cut

Buy a $500 rifle and a $1500 scope. About all rifles shoot better than the man behind the trigger. If you can’t see it, you can’t hit it tho.

Agreed.
I own 2 cheap rifles, both purchased for $315 and $250 after a rebate... Each rifle shoots MOA or better 5-Shot groups. 3-Shot groups in the .3-.4 range..

Had a $500 Bushnell scope lose Zero 3x on me, sold it. I’d rather spend more on a reliable scope & rings that hold zero.

Reactions: rmp

earlthegoat2

Ruger American $4-500
Boyd’s stock of your choice since the American stocks, though functional, sort of stink. $225-300
5-600 scope and rings
$2-300 worth of ammo
And some money for misc accesories

Or any Tikka

krizia829

A classic Browning X-Bolt in .308win with wood stock, paired with a Leupold VX3. :cool:

killerv

$800 rifle
$1,200 scope
While I agree there was certainly a time this was the case, I've always heard to be willing to spend twice on the glass than you've spent on the gun. I've never done that and I have done just fine. I get it, who cares how nice the gun is if you can't see when you need to. There are just too many nice scopes in the 300-600 range these days that will more than get the job done in legal shooting hours...especially for the set it and forget guys.

killerv

Lot of variables , having owned a variety of different rifles and calibers over the years , there is one I've always wanted but never really tried to hunt one down, a Remington 700 mountain rifle from the 90's, in either .308 or 7mm08,

But I've always been a 700 fan, my Dad was a fan of Browning bolt actions, but I never cared for them, and most 700's from the 80's and 90's would shoot sub moa with good ammo

The scope ? upper tier Leupold, or comparable, Burris makes some nice upper tier scopes, and there are a couple others I'd probably give consideration to also
I love a mountain rifle, the sweet spot between a model 7 and the regular 700. Got one in 270, 280, and 308. Would love to have one of the old stainless laminated ones in 708.

killerv

If I were buying right now....I would get a tikka t3x lite veil in 708...and spend the rest on the scope and base/rings

deermaster13

I would have to choose a Model 70 Winchester Super Grade. In 270 or 243. Second would be a pre 64 just because i don't have either one in my small collection of model 70's.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Either some of you need live closer to me, or I need to live closer to you...
I have a 1954 Winchester M70 Featherweight in 270win with a Sightron 3-9×40 scope and I can't sell it for $800. It wasn't a safe queen, normal hunting wear on the wood, floorplate and buttplate for a rifle that old that has been used but I thought it was priced fairly.