Question...

Sting'em!

So, I did my final scouting this afternoon and found a good deal of turkey signs in this one corner of the clear cut. I believe the birds are roosting in the tree line on the edge of the cut, flying down into the cut and doing their thing. So, I have built a nice makeshift blind out of the numerous sticks, logs, debris etc...my question is this: I've read where people can set up pretty darn near roosting birds as long as you don't make much noise, but this is with tree cover...my setup is such that I have to walk about 50 yards parallel to the woodline but in the open where I believe the birds to be roosting. How worried should I be of the birds seeing me walking in? I mean, it will be dark of course, but not pitch black.

wmahunter

Banned
I have had them bust me on a bright moon and next saturday morning the moon will be pretty bright. Is that the only way to get in to your spot?

Sting'em!

Pretty much...the spot is not very far from the tree line, that's the problem. Sounds like I am screwed unless my best guess on their roost is off. I can be super quiet though.

Seems like if I got their early enough, they would just forget all about me by the time the sun came up? ::;

This is why I need to get a WOODED lease! I have seen plenty of turkeys on my lease, its just that they can see me coming from a mile away! Its great for deer, but I have discovered I am a much more avid turkey hunter than deer. This may be my last season on this lease. I need woods!

wmahunter

Banned
They often roost quite a way back in from the treeline edge and if it were me I'd do as you suggested and get in early and take my chances. They rarely are right where I think they will be anyway so your odds aren't totally bad.

Sting'em!

I'm just going to creep in as slow and silent as possible and go in early.

Sting'em!

Forecast is mostly cloudy, so maybe I will be able to walk forward and still get a shot.

bnew17

id be real careful. I got busted by a tom scouting this weekend roosted on the edge of a clear cut. Never had one roost in that area so i wasnt expecting him. Of course it didnt help either that some deer blew at me and ran under his tree.

fatduckboy

GET in early and if you have to crawl to your spot