blue ridge WMA

Woodsong

Anyone going to the Blue Ridge WMA hunt this week? I know it started today but the weather kept me at home...well, that and the wife and kids.

any woodyites gonna be up the hills??

Duff

Didn't realize it was this weekend Woodsong. Should be hitting the rut just right, but be glad you missed today. It was blowing snow, sleet in the hills this morning. BBRRRRRRRRR!

Bowhunterga

Finally made it up there for the last day. Was COLD in them there hills. Rain finally drove me (and most everyone else) outta there about 3:30. Heard a few shots so someone must have gotten lucky. That or they followed thru with their threat to shoot the blasted squirrel that refused to stop barking at them like I almost did.

Dana Young

Blue Ridge
I Hunted Wed Evening Till The Fog Got To Thick Found Some Good Feeding And Running Sign, Went Back Friday Saw A Nice Buck Running Does But Couldn't Get A Good Shot So I Had To Let Him Go. I Need To Check To See If There Is Another Hunt There If There Is I'll Try To Get On Him Again.
Dana Young

Woodsong

Dana,
Glad to hear you at least SAW something. I tell you what...is it me or does there seem to be less sign up @ Blue Ridge WMA every year? I can remember a few years ago I knew places that were covered up in sign and each year since then it seems to have less and less sign anywhere. Out of the 3 of us, we only saw 1 doe and our friend didn't shoot b/c he didn't realize it was a doe day! :D
I left Saturday morning and headed home...I at least got to spend time in the hills which is always fun.

Out of curouisity, what part of the WMA were you hunting? We were camped down off of FS251 and hunted around there and up on the other side of Winding Stair. One of the ridges just on the other side of Winding Stair had some sign but that was about it. I think I saw all of 1 acorn in all those hardwoods....??

Dana Young

Woodsong,
I Didn't Hunt Blue Ridge Last Year But In The Last Two Previous Years I Did Find A Good Bit Of Sign,four Years Ago I Lost A Really Good Buck In The Same Area That I Hunted This Year Thats Why I Didn't Take The Marginal Shot Offdered By The Buck Friday. Alot Of People Are Saying That They Can't Find Sign On The Mtn Wma's But So Far I've Found Quite A Bit On The Chattahoochee, Chestatee And On Blue Ridge, On The Chattahoochee I Got A Spike And On The Chestatee I Got A 3 And A Half Year Old 4 Point And On The Blue Ridge I Saw The Good Buck And At Least 2 Does And 1 Unidentified.
The Acorns In The Mtns Are Abundant High Near The Tops Of The Mtns All The Deer I Have Been Finding Are High Near The Tops.
I Was Hunting Near Hawk Mtn Around Frying Pan Gap.
I Hope That You Can Find Some Better Sign Next Time. Are You Going To Hunt The Next Hunt Up There. Also The Sign Is Around Thick Areas.
Hope This Helps
Dana

Woodsong

I probably won't have time to get up there for the last hunt, though it would be fun. Even though there seem to be almost no deer up there these days (or maybe they are all hiding from me!), I really just enjoy spending time in the high ridges with the wind and hardwoods and views. It is great.

Attachments

• mtn sunset.JPG
    mtn sunset.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 280