7mm remington saum

t k

I am looking for a short and lightweight gun for hunting and am looking at the remington model 7 in 7mm saum.I know the winchester short 7mm are selling well in the browning and winchester,but I have always used remington.I don't think the remingtons have been selling very well and I don't need a gun that I may have trouble finding ammo down the road.Do any of you own the remington 7mm saum and how do you like it?any pros or cons?Thanks

Larry Rooks

tk
I have a Rem mod 700 Stainless in 7MM SAUM and love it. I have the Rem mod 7 stainless in 300 SAUM and love it too. If I had to choose one of these, I would go with the Mod 7 in the 7MM SAUM though, less recoil and kills em just as dead

t k

Thanks Larry
I have been a little worried about getting the remington version.I looked at adventure outdoors monday and they had a model 7 in the 7mm saum stainless/synthetic,it was hard not to buy it.Have you had any trouble finding ammo and is there a decent selection.I usually shoot federal premium ammo,I will have to check and see if they are producing any yet.Thanks

duckbill

I've always been a big fan of the 7MM REM MAG, having owned and reloaded for one for a long time. The one drawback to mine is the weight. I would love to find a comparable cartridge in a lighter rifle. The problem with that would be recoil. I would be interested in trying the 7MM SAUM in a mountain rifle or something like it, but would want to stay with the smaller bullets (140gr). Of course, for southeastern deer all we really need is a 7MM-08.

Larry Rooks

tk
There is plenty of ammo out, but not sure about Federal yet. Rem has a good supply. I handload, so I bought just enough ammo to get some brass when shot up. I use the Barnes 120 gr XBT bullet in mine and it's like they were hit by a lightning bolt :p

Lead Poison

Winchester Short Magnum (WSM)

I guess I'll be the only one to go against the flow.

I don't own either (WSM nor SAUM), but if I were to choose one of them, I'd definitely choose the Winchester Short Mag over the Remington SAUM.

I think the WSM is the one short magnum series that is here to stay. :shoot:

You may be able to get components for the SAUM, but it will not be nearly as popular as the WSM series in my opinion.

duckbill

Lead Poison,
You are right...the WSM are certainly here to stay. I think one of things I like about the SAUM is it's NOT what everybody else is using. I own a 270WSM, but looking back I wish I had bought the 7MM SAUM. I reload, so ammo is not an issue either.
Having owned and shot a bunch of different cartridges over the years, I don't think short mags are necessary. However, I do think they are interesting and something for us gun nuts to tinker with :fine: .

Lead Poison

You always need one more!

I agree and hope both are available in the future. I too, have several different rifle calibers. Not that I need more than one, but because I like to tinker or should I say kill deer with each. :bounce:

I tend to stick with the traditional calibers, but it is nice to shoot the less traditional calibers once in a while as well.

Some of the calibers that I don't currently have, but very much respect are 260 Rem, 6.5X55 Swed, 7X57 Mauser, 270 WSM and many others. :shoot:

Good shooting..... :flag:

Larry Rooks

Comparing the WSM line to Rem SAUM line, the WSM line is a better performer. In each case, the WSM shoots faster and flatter, but, not to say there is not a need for both. Some will own nothing but Rem rifles, the SAUM line is not available in Win rifles or any other that I have seen yet. The WSM line is available in many other rifle brands. I like em all. I just tinker with tme, love to shoot em, and own one of each except the 223 WSSM and 243 WSSM, got the rest and enjoy each and everyone. My favorite is not even invented yet,
which I hope Rem come sout with, a 257 SAUM. The 25 WSSM is a great shooter and extrmemly accurate in my Win mod 70 Coyotes, but to me, it would have been better built on the WSM case and not the WSSM case.
Maybe Rem will bring out the 25 SAUM and beuild it on the full size SAUM case, bring the performance up to a higher lever than the WSSM version. :clap:

duckbill

Larry,
You are so right about the 25WSSM. They should have built it as a WSM. If Rem comes out with a 25SAUM, I'm all over it. The one cartridge I don't own, but is one of my favorites is the .257 Roberts. So, a 25 SAUM would be just what this gun nut would love to see. :clap:

Larry Rooks

I sure would like to see it happen. I have heard rumors about it but that is all. I love the 25 WSSM but it should have been built on the WSM case for some super performance, right there with the 257 Weatherby. Maybe Remington will "GET ER DONE". A Barnes Xbullet thumping out of there at about 3400 fps would be AWESOME

leoparddog

I was reading an article the other day about rounds that have been discontinued over the years. Many of them were very effective, but just did not become popular enough for the big ammo manufacturers to continue loading.

One factor (if not the factor) that contributes to popularity and longevity of a cartidge is how many guns of that caliber/round are sold here in the US. Since Remington has not licensed their SAUM rounds to be chambered in the guns built by other companies (to my knowledge), they will in effect sell fewer of them and they will be less popular over time. I'm talking long term here -call it 15 years+.

Since the WSM rounds can be found in Winchester, Browning and possibly some other makes that I am not aware of, it is more likely that in the long run those rounds will be more popular and more available.

None of this comes into effect if you roll your own, and may not affect you buying factory ammo for a very long while, but it might make the ammo hard to find at stores many years from now.

I'm sure we can all think of several good rounds that have been discontinued.

t k

leoparddog9
My only fear is that down the road I won't be able to find much in the way of factory ammo.I don't do any reloading but that can always change.I have always for some reason or another been a remington fan.I never cared much for the safety on a winchester even though I do own a 30 +year old model 70 243.The browning bolt I like more than the remington,I guess I like to things simple and consistent.
I have a leupold scope laying around that I need to do something with so I thought I would look for a short gun for walking or for hunting these small shooting houses we sometimes use.If remington chambered the wsm line I would already own it.I will probably go ahead and buy the gun and move on to the next project.I want to build a good 30 cal magnum,leaning toward the 300 ultra mag.I will definitely have to sneak that one by the wife.

duckbill

A fellow over at shortmags.org said he called Remington and they confirmed that they will be offering the Rem 700 in both the 270WSM and 300WSM. He's not sure which models specifically. Interesting, huh?

leoparddog

Wow Duckbill,
If that is true, I'd say its almost a white surrender flag from Remington that their short mags aren't selling well enough. Why chamber a competition's round when you have a comparable one, unless you are seeing your sales drop or folks buying the other guy's round.

BTW -TK
I've always been a Remington man myself. Bought my first Browing Abolt this time last year. I have to admit I do like it, but am not wild about the safety having to be on fire to unload it. But since it does have a magazine that can be dropped from the bottom, I only have to cycle it once.

I aint got none of them fancy Remingtons with the magazine floor plates that open.

duckbill

Leopard,
I'd have to agree with you. The SAUM may or may not be better, but the fact is...the WSM's are selling. So, I guess they're gonna try and capitalize on it. It'll be interesting to see how well they sell.
I, too, bought my first A-bolt this year. Although it is a sweet rifle, it doesn't shoot as good as my old Rem 700.

Gentlemen,

I too have noticed the 7mm SAUM rifles on sale on Gunbroker and
Auction Arms at lower prices. I also saw a big push to sell the SAUM ammo
in the Natchez January sales flyer.

Several weeks ago, I saw a new M700 in 270WSM (this is a BDL version with
matte finish and synthetic stock) in the rack at Shuler's in Gainesville. I
thought it might have been a distributor special run, but now I think it might
be a concession not only in the .277 bore diameter, but in the sales department as well.

I was however entirely amazed to see that Remington had actually ADDED the 7mm-08 'back' to the M700 line in the new SPS M700 (special purpose synthetic, BDL configuration, R3 recoil pad, synthetic, black matte). I had been looking for a M700 ADLSYN 'donor' to have a matching rifle in 7mm-08 to go with my daughter's M788 in 7mm-08 - so we could share in some load development.

I am one of those who actually bought and liked the .350RemMag, .35Whelen, and 7mm-08 and I am never amazed by the decisions by BigGreen regarding cartridge/rifle offerings.

Regards,

leoparddog

I had forgotten that this thread started a while back and was almost surprised to see myself on it. This time reading thru it and thinking about the original post made me think about this.

The original poster mentioned a light weight rifle.

When I bought my A-Bolt II (now last year) in 300WSM, I was shocked at how much lighter in weight it was than my Rem M700 in .308. They are both scoped.

I guess it has to do with the barrel diameter amoung other things with the Browning. It may not be as good a target rifle as my M700 as the barrel heats up faster, but it does put the first 3 shots in very close proximity.

I also noted that Big Green is dropping the Model 700 ADL and replacing it with the new SPS line. I think I saw this in this months American Rifleman.