A question for everyone

vowell462

I was talking to a friend the other day who is a baptist preacher. During our conversation, i heard him mutter a derogratory word for a homosexual. According to him, homosexuality is a choice made by man from temptation. I just find this hard to take. Of course, me being me, I surely wasnt going to start a debate about the subject as he is someone whom I respect and have known for 15 years.

I guess im asking what your thoughts are on it whether your Christian, Aetheist, whatever. Just wanted to hear the opinions. Is it something your born with or is it a choice to become that way?

Me personally, I cannot see how this is a choice. I dont know how someone can wake up one day and choose to be homosexual. Though I dont have any scientific data, I would think its some sort of chromosome mix up or something. Its never interested me, so Ive never researched it.

hummdaddy

it is not a choice !!! do you think people would go through all the ridicule and seen as an outcast if they did not really have those feelings for people of the same sex..i know several homosexual people and they have known since they were young kids ...i am not talking about bisexual people that just think hey i think i will try this . i am talking about people who have never been attracted to anybody of the opposite sex at all , and only seek like minded people ....

TripleXBullies

I know 3 guys from ELEMENTARY school... who seemed a little 'off' to me in 3rd grade... who are homosexual. When saw them as adults and realized they were homosexual I realized it was the maybe feminine type way of holding themselves that I saw as kids.

Not all homosexuals are like that, I know. I'm not trying to use stereotypes. That makes me think it's not a choice... I know I have the choice, but it's no choice for me to be attracted to women and not men... Then my wife... well... She has the choice to like both... SHHH..

I don't like homosexuality, but as long as guys aren't forcing me to be too close it, who cares. I definitely don't think it's a "sin." Do what you want. I see it similarly to Christians. Do it in the comfort of your own home, don't bring it to me.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I was talking to a friend the other day who is a baptist preacher. During our conversation, i heard him mutter a derogratory word for a homosexual. According to him, homosexuality is a choice made by man from temptation. I just find this hard to take. Of course, me being me, I surely wasnt going to start a debate about the subject as he is someone whom I respect and have known for 15 years.

I guess im asking what your thoughts are on it whether your Christian, Aetheist, whatever. Just wanted to hear the opinions. Is it something your born with or is it a choice to become that way?

Me personally, I cannot see how this is a choice. I dont know how someone can wake up one day and choose to be homosexual. Though I dont have any scientific data, I would think its some sort of chromosome mix up or something. Its never interested me, so Ive never researched it.
Ironically, I bet he wouldn't be so spiteful towards those that commit adultery

GAGE

GONetwork Member
I have a few homosexuals in my extended family, there is no way they or any other homosexual chose to be so. You can choose to experiment, but you can not choose who you love.

centerpin fan

Dang I must have. And thats a long thread!

Yeah, I just took another look at it. I had forgotten how long it is. There's some good info in there if you just want to skim it.

Back to your original point, the minister should not have used a derogatory term for homosexual.

vowell462

Yeah, I just took another look at it. I had forgotten how long it is. There's some good info in there if you just want to skim it.

Back to your original point, the minister should not have used a derogatory term for homosexual.

This is true, but it wasnt a real bad one. One that was used alot in the 50s and kind of an excepted term. Now its not considerd PC.

gaspur1

They don't have a choice , it's a birth defect since we all start out as female . The BIBLE says it is a sin , so if you believe the bible it's a sin.

slimbo

I dont care either way and everybody is a sinner.......even a preacher, but I just wanted to give a shout out to my man TIVO. What up homie. Lets go shoot some ducks in the face. See ya saturday! :cheers:

slimbo

And by the way, that hat in your picture makes me think you are one of those people you speak of in this thread.....Maybe I dont wanna sit in a duck blind with you. Ill keep my waders on.

1gr8bldr

I think a better topic would be; How you and the baptist preacher are friends. Most baptist preachers I know would not respect your mentality to decide what you believe.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I think some are born with it and some are not. I also think that some kids are "wired" that way at a young age because of their environment.

vowell462

I think a better topic would be; How you and the baptist preacher are friends. Most baptist preachers I know would not respect your mentality to decide what you believe.

Im not sure if i am supposed to take this offensivley or not. But to answer the question, I used to attend his church. I wouldnt consider us close or anything, but we do conversate often as we live in a rural community with three gas stations. So I see him alot. Im sure he doesnt like my position, but he doesnt ask either.

vowell462

I dont care either way and everybody is a sinner.......even a preacher, but I just wanted to give a shout out to my man TIVO. What up homie. Lets go shoot some ducks in the face. See ya saturday! :cheers:

See ya saturday. Weve been playing phone tag. Lets go kill sum birds! And dont be hating on my beanie, its warm.

1gr8bldr

Im not sure if i am supposed to take this offensivley or not. But to answer the question, I used to attend his church. I wouldnt consider us close or anything, but we do conversate often as we live in a rural community with three gas stations. So I see him alot. Im sure he doesnt like my position, but he doesnt ask either.

Most i've known are aggresive, or should I say "pushy" [preachers] In the end, it usually drives things south.

TTom

More and more evidence piles up that it is not a choice, that there is some level of biology at work.

The next question is scarey though. What happens if they figure out what that biology is and it turns out that the technology to "fix" it is doable?

TTom

More and more evidence piles up that it is not a choice, that there is some level of biology at work.

The next question is scarey though. What happens if they figure out what that biology is and it turns out that the technology to "fix" it is doable?