Moonshine Question

Fletch_W

Banned
I know it depends on the size of the batch, the moonshine show on Discovery showed the guy dumping over a gallon of the first runnings, but that was a big batch. Is there a ratio to go by? Any way to test it?

wranglerjoe1968

I have been watching that show and has me wanting to try my hand at making a little.

secondseason

Retired Administrator
Y'all are asking on an open forum viewed by LEO's how to make unlicensed liquor that is illegal to make in any amount. FYI

Fletch_W

Banned
FYI second season, it's been legalized on the federal level for personal use, under a certain amount per year. Besides, I was just looking for information for my friend in Canada.

Everyone, proceed.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
:pop:

Fletch_W

Banned
I've got a hydrometer, where you can measure alcohol content, and they make even fancier ones to get it measured just right. That's not my question. My question is how much of the first runnings need to be discarded. It's an important question because the first runnings are high in methanol, which is deadly. It can kill you before you even know there is something wrong. It's not just superfluous hillbilly tradition, it's literally life and death if you get it wrong.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
FYI second season, it's been legalized on the federal level for personal use, under a certain amount per year. Besides, I was just looking for information for my friend in Canada.

Everyone, proceed.

Fletch, would you please point us to the law that legalized the distillation of spirits in some amount for personal use?

Thank you.

Fletch_W

Banned
Can't find it. I was lied to. A moderator on HBT said they were allowing distillation talk on their site after a very long ban, because the law had changed in some way, but I can't find anything on TTB site. There are bills introduced every session of congress to legalize it, though. Perhaps they were talking about freeze distillation... ?

Fletch_W

Banned
More information than I feel comfortable knowing...

http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm

To give a brief answer to my own question, for posterity:

Once the still is up to temperature, and the distillate has started dripping, make sure you throw away the first 50 mL per 20 L of wash, as this may contain any methanol that is present.

southernboy2147

IDK what it is but if u drink that first percentage... it will make ur stomach cramp for dayssssssss. dont ask me how i know

mickbear

you discard the first 100-150 mil. of a 20Gal batch +/- .the reason is temp. ethyl alcohol turns to a gas @ or about 175-76 Deg.methyl alcohol turns to a gas @ or about 167-68 Deg.
there's no magic to making liquor. all your doing is seperating two liquids that have diffreent boiling points by turning one to a gas before the other.
if i was going to make some i would be sure to use a reflux still that had a 2 foot column with copper scowering pads or marbles inside,two thermometers one at the top of the coloumn and one at the begining of the worm or condencing coil.a recirculating pond pump to transfer my cold water from a five gallon bucket thru the cooling chamber.the reflux column has taken a lot of the work out of making liquor.the ol thump kegs,puke pot days are gone in my opinion.you can go to lowes pick up the materials and buil a small still fairly cheap.
straight corn meal,turbo yeast, sugar and water and you in business

now thats just my guess, i dont realy know for sure so dont hold me to that.

Last edited: