My season.....

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
So far, have not gotten one, but started last year, and got the fever.........this year was amazing.

I have been practicing with mouth calls and of course driving everyone in the house crazy......I practice while driving too........you all know the routine:biggrin2:

I have very limited time in the woods, no scouting, no Pro type hunting with fly downs etc.......might get lucky to be out there by 9:30 AM, have to be gone by 1 or 2 PM. Limited time makes it Very Hard to sit for more than 20 minutes or so.

This past season, I would walk into the woods, giving out a few "Pocks", as I Slowly walked.......seemed everytime, I would get busted:mad: Not to mention, it always happened very close to the truck.

Last chance, I promised myself, I would just walk into the woods a little and sit, then start calling.........

I parked off the side of Stamp Creek, walked maybe 50 yards into an area I knew well, let out my first "Pock"

Immediately, she(yes she) yelled back at me from maybe 50 yards away, then silence.......I let out a few more pocks and a cut and she started BLASTING me with cuts, so I blasted her back!

What a rush to be sitting, completely camoed up and she was after me:D

I stopped calling except for a few low volume "Locator" pocks........she was coming and I finally saw her at about 30 yards away.......I stayed silent and she turned away, so I "Locator" called her again and she turned around coming in again........I watched and listened to this Hen Make Cuts, purrs, Kee Kees all kinds of sounds.......it was CRAZY!

I must have watched her for a good 15 to 20 minutes, and I bet she got within 15 yards of me, but she never saw me, even though surely she knew something was up:D

I did finally hear some Gobbles that were maybe 75 yards away, but I didnt think they would come in with Her between me and Him.......

I stalked in the direction she went and sat again on top of a little ridge for a few minutes..........started calling again and had ANOTHER arguement with her, but she never showed.

I stood up so I could see down low and there were two hens just a shining as they stood in an open canopy and the sun was hitting them hard..........BUSTED, again!:D

I think this may have been the greatest hunt I have ever had..........I have a little bit of confidence in my calling now and I get the fact that when calling, "Less is More" and you CANNOT do it while stalking, at ANY Pace.:biggrin2:

I have the fever and cannot wait until Next Turkey Season:cool:

ridgestalker

I have never heard anyone call a cluck which is what i believe you are talking about as (pock's) :rofl:.
Your thread gave me a good laugh for today.It will get easier for ya in time.Good luck to ya next spring.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have never heard anyone call a cluck which is what i believe you are talking about as (pock's) :rofl:.
Your thread gave me a good laugh for today.It will get easier for ya in time.Good luck to ya next spring.

I could never understand why someone called what really is a "Pock" coming out of my mouth, a Cluck.........I cant say cluck or chuck, with a Diaphragm in my mouth:rofl:

I use my lips and it makes a good quick "Pock" ......kind of like Popping your lips, but pushing the air over the reed at the same time......... I'll go along with the Kee Kee and the purrs; they are about the only descriptions that have been accurate.... or make sense:D

One thing that was surprising, listening to real Birds, is how high the pitch can be with the kee kees