Plot Question

GAbuckhunter88

I am going down to camp next weekend to disc up the plot again one last time before we plant in mid/late september. I am spreading more lime in the plot as well. I was thinking about throwing some Peas out in the plot right now in hopes of having a decent little bow plot for opening day. Its around 3/4 of an acre, I know they will wipe it out but would planting in a week or two be right for beginning of season? What is the best way to plant peas?

Forest Grump

Depends on when they "wipe it out". If they don't hit it hard as soon as you plant, you might get a good stand of peas on 3/4 ac. It likely will be better to plant it now, while we are getting some rains, than to wait til late Aug or Sept & be back in a drought cycle. Just disk it up good, do whatever prep you want, then broadcast about 50#/ac & drag over it lightly. Peas will pop in 3-4 days. If the deer eat 'em up, you can still plant your fall stuff later. Ideally you want them 1-3" deep, but they'll come up on the surface with a good rain on them. You would want them to grow as much as possible between now & then: the more biomass you got, the longer it takes to destroy it.